call me an idiot, but i thought i should ask..

ben (o  )(

ok, coarse fishing, how do you recognise all the fish you catch? i reckon the teeth on pike will give it away and roach have red fins, i think i could recognise carp and bream but i would never be quite sure. what do you use to recognise them? what are the distinguishing features?

ben

This link should take you to a series of very good articles on the commonest species (with the exception of carp) by Dr Bruno Broughton :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Should probably tune into Quest (freeview) and Discovery Shed (Virgin and Sky). Plenty of fishing programmes to choose from on either. You'll learn to identify fish as they are in the flesh and how to catch them.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Very good question ben.

Many of us started fishing with parents and grandparents and gradually accumilated all sorts of knowledge including fish I.D.

I for one as a lad was never without 'The observers book of freshwater fish' along with Birds and birds eggs.

They were all well thumbed. We tend to forget that there was a time when we knew nothing.

I often wonder when seeing a bird how I know what it is, I certainly could'nt describe many of them if you asked me to but I know what they are.

How many of us could describe a house sparrow more than a small bird in multi shades of brown but we know one when we see one.

So get yourself a good little book and do'nt be afraid to ask other anglers. You wo'nt look silly but you will if you start calling a bream a roach.

Edited by Barry C

ok thanks all for your responce. Barry-im hoping to get my dad to come with me fishing at some point-hes never been! cant imagine him being much help teaching me which are which. :)

the main thing i need to know is how to recognise a carp, i am going tomorrow and want to know imidiately if whats in the net is the carp i have been searching haha

what are the key things that i can use to make sure its a carp? i know there mouths are very distinctive because of the way they feed, is there anything else?

ben

ok i will do that but im going fishing early tomrrow and hoping to catch a carp. what can i look for on a carp that will mean i know its a carp as i dont want to be unsure or pleased with myself only to be told later that its bream :/

what can i look for?

thanks

ben

Its not a silly question at all, I for one when younger could never get my species correct ( I was always getting asked what you caught mate.Um eh Fish. )

But as a returner I invented a little quiz with myself , as I saw the pictures of catches people show in the weeklys I tried to name the fish before I read the information along side the picture. with practice I can now name all my fish and can't see what the problem was before .so practice makes perfect.

In this country there's not really that many common species that you're likely to encounter - perhaps a dozen.

Even looking a little wider, you're still only looking at two dozen that you're ever likely to catch without deliberatly setting out to catch rare species.

Of the fish that you are likely to catch, it;s really not that hard to tell a roach from a rudd, a chub from a dace or a rufe from a zander.

It just takes a little practice/

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Not a silly question at all, when i first went fishing on a local lake i told everyone i had caught lots of dace, they were in fact roach and i later realised that dace only go in fast flowing rivers!

It comes with time and apart from a book about all the different species it's just something you will pick up :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

It doesn't include trout and Salmon but there's an OK guide to identification of, habitat and catching the common species here.

It's only "OK" because despite being published by Angling Times, they have quite obviously used a photograph of a very imature trout or salmon par to ilustrate the "minnow" on the other species page.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.