Esthwaite - Pike/Boat fishing and Chart!

Rob Ward

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

StuMac - probably well worth investing on one of those solar battery chargers. Mounted on the boat they can really extend the amount of time the battery lasts during a long weekend.

Also (and you may have already known this) you get some serious loss of DC current if your wires are too small and/or the run from battery to electric motor is too long. I prefer about a 6ga and no more than a couple of feet from battery to electric motor.

And FWIW, I have used several brands and have returned to MinnKota. Among other things, more trolling time on a battery charge than with several others I tried.

But you are absolutely correct. Owning a boat is the most perfect excuse in the world for getting a new vehicle. :D

[ 04. November 2002, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Originally posted by Newt:

[QB]StuMac - probably well worth investing on one of those solar battery chargers. Mounted on the boat they can really extend the amount of time the battery lasts during a long weekend.

Newt - I live and fish in Scotland where solar power isn't exactly overwhelming - particularly at this time of year!! However, they do sound interesting devices, didn't know they even existed.

I've got a 46 lb thrust MiniKota and it really works well but I was really surprised how much of a hamering the battery took when I was out in a really stiff breeze for the first time.

These things will work with a cloud cover - although granted, not as efficiently as during bright sunlight.

All sorts of designs and capacities available. Interesting one Here on ebay right now. Flexible and completely water resistant.

If nothing else, leaving one of these things hooked up (and with a regulator to prevent overcharging) while the boat is parked will greatly extend battery life.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 6 years later...