Fish-habitats

davedave

Don't ask me why, but recently i've had a thought-Do you think fish know the exact layout of the lake or pond they live in or do you think they just swim about following the wind/food/cover? :g:

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Don't ask me why, but recently i've had a thought-Do you think fish know the exact layout of the lake or pond they live in or do you think they just swim about following the wind/food/cover? :g:

What a great question. But I don't know the answer but I guess they know some or a good part of it as some fish do seem to be homers staying in certain areas for long periods and I do think that some do have patrol paths or even set times when they can be found it certain areas and I do think they know where they are going and how to get there.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Now you've got me thinking... It hurts!

I would say Yes but with caution. Yes with the more territorial species such as Pike and Carp (and often regarded as more intelligent) and Yes to older specimens of most species (guessing now) albeit unconciously.

Which brings me to River dwellers. Again Yes to the territorial species, which actively protect and patrol a feeding area and, to a lesser degree than in lakes, I would surmise that older specimens of most species (unconciously) know their relative position to areas of safety and feeding areas.

I'm only guessing from what limited understanding of fish behaviour I have. Like Dales said, a VERY good question. I'm off googling...

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

I think in the main, fish know their habitat in precise detail. I don't think there's much in their behaviour that's random.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Don't know if this is totally relevant or not but it might be of interest-

I used to manage the fishing at an old gravel working that had "three pits" For a period in time these three pits had been all joined (thus making one). They were divided by solid causeways.

Over a period of around 15 years I fished all three but this story is about the behaviour of the carp in one of them.They used to have (well a group of them at least) a habit of regularly patrolling the same route (basically the margins of the inaccessible bank (large reed beds) They would be like clock work at certain times of the season they could be seen in the same areas/moving through the same areas at the same time daily.Most mornings at around 11.00 I would try to stalk them from a snaggy area near one of the causeways. They would hang around this area for about 2 hours,by far the longest period of any of the areas they visited/travelled through.I/we had long thought this due to it being a favourite "safe" area despite being next to the causeway (that had the main access road for the complex on it).

Years after losing the water I met an angler who had fished the water some 20+ years before me and an old fellow who had worked a drag line at the pit when it/they were still being worked. Both told me of how they remembered the carp could be seen regularly following a route around the lake (back then the causeways were not in place and so the pits one)

Going on this and the times they mentioned it became quite apparent that the lake now divided from the lake in question by the causeway had been part of the original patrol route.They would be seen arriving at the point the causeway now blocked them at the same time then as they were now and "leaving" at the same time as they now did! There patrol route/routine hadn't actually altered just that they now hung around the causeway area for the period of time they would have been in the (now) second lake.

I hope you understand that?

So why? A remembered thing or were they just following/being influenced to move by something else?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Why indeed? I get what you're saying exactly. It would appear to be a habit and a learned one as well, passed down through the generations by imitation. It certainly leads me to believe this anyway. The benefit that it is a 'safe area' as you say, would give little reason to break this habit too.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Last season I was bream fishing after dark, and hooked a pike that took a fancy to a bit of fake corn. I got it under the rod tip, and it then bit me off. I tied on a new hooklength and recast to the same spot, about 50 yards into the lake. About 10 minutes later I had another bite and hooked the same pike again, this time landing it and getting my other hook back!

So that fish had immediately swum 50 yards back to precisely the same spot, through a myriad of gravel bars and humps.

When you catch a shoal fish like a bream and release it, how does it find its shoal mates again? Because it knows exactly where they will be!

The fact that we can learn about fish behaviour in general (e.g. what all chub tend to do/like/etc.) and specific to certain waters (e.g. what the chub in river x prefer in terms of flow, etc.) is why we can remove as much of the luck element as possible, and try to remove a little more each time we go.

When Terry Hearn is fishing for a particular carp in a big pit, he doesn't just turn up and cast the rods out... he observes the fish he is after, learns its behaviour, finds out what it likes, and then fishes for it.

Unfortunately we can't all be Terry Hearn but if we have a good understanding of the topography and features of the water we are fishing, and have some knowledge of the behaviour of the fish we are trying to catch, we're 90% of the way there.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I think fish are defiantly aware of the surroundings and position within the lake or river. I have lost count of the amount I time I have been snagged buy fish that apparently have very poor eye site that bolt for the same snag from 15 feet away in very coloured water they no were the snag is and how to get there. In the more pressured waters that I fish you have to be very precise with your bating and position of you bait to have any chance to catch. The fish have very specific patrol routes and if your bait is out of that route by a foot you may as well be sat at home.

As an undergraduate, for my honours year project, I tried to find out whether sticklebacks could remember the location of food. I had a tank with a plastic seed tray stuck to the bottom and a shallow covering of water. I put a pinch of whiteworm in one of the cells of the tray, introduced the stickleback and timed how long it took to find the food and recorded the coordinates of where it was every few seconds. Some fish had the food in the same place all the time, some had it randomised.

Spent days doing this. Hours and hours in a dimly lit basement room, watching sticklebacks.

When I collated and analysed the data, I found that sticklebacks with randomised food found it quicker than fixed food. Which was unexpected...

When I looked at the data for where the fish spent their time, it was pretty obvious why. Sticklebacks spend a lot of their time attacking their reflection in the glass, so they tend to swim round the edges of the tank. My fixed spot was somewhere near the middle - the randomised spots were much more likely to be near where the fish would pass over.

Stupid boy! Poorly designed experiment! :wallbash:

What was true was that the average foraging time fell for both groups over the course of the trial, so they definitely became more effective at foraging in that artificial habitat.

I'm pretty sure fish have behaviours which lead them to visit good feeding places. Whether they have a cognitive map of their environment, or whether they just behave in a mechanistic way which causes them to be in the right place at the right time, I don't know. I expect it varies with species. I'd expect territorial species to be much more rooted in local geography than patrolling species, and I'd expect fish feeding in the upper layers to be more interested in which way the wind is blowing than on where they actually are, but I'm just guessing.

Interesting stuff. I know that in coloured water, river chub definitely know where the snags are, even though they aren't able to see them.