Naming fish, mainly carp.

Guest Gaffer

A comment that keeps on cropping up is the naming of fish, mainly carp.

Personally I can't see the difference between naming a fish and naming a swim for example.

Surely it's easier to name a fish than try to describe it, like, the 20lb mirror with two large scales on it's left flank and one small scale on it's right flank...etc.

What are your thoughts?

Atb,

Gaffer.

I will apologise in advance rolleyes.gif

Sorry Gaffer but you are bound to see nothing wrong in giving a carp a name, you're a carp angler eek.gif

she runs for cover

lyn

Guest Danny H

I in the past have made derogatory comments about the chasing after named fish with four rods, all to catch that fish now it has put on two ounces or whatever.

I s'pose I haven't got a problem with the naming of the fish, it's more the targetting of that fish, (even known barbel on my beloved Ouse).

It seems to me that this is almost like teasing the neighbourhood cat or whatever, and I like to think of myself chasing after wild uncaught fish.

But if I'm truthful, this is all boll####,

as I just like evrybody else, will always run to a productive swim when the fishing is hard, and so I am targetting the same fish,

so in a way I'm surely guilty of what I accuse others of doing.

Gaffer you bring up a good point, we are all hypocrits to some point or other, most of us seem to cry over a couple of rudd, but if we love the fish so much we would leave them in peace.

This for me is a dilemma I constantly Wrestle with, as an adult I shouldn't torment fish, but the compulsion to fish is

almost as a junkies fix, I have to go.

I tell myself I will limit the harm I do, and this is a balance I have to live with.

So I s'pose the namers just bring this all to the surface, I for one like to think the fish has some say in it's fate, and the fact that I'm not chasing it, I'm chasing any fish that comes along allowing some fate into the equation.

Sermon over.

Others will have their own reasons, which I for one would love to hear.

Guest Peter Waller

Naming fish is a carp, now, have I spelt that correctly, thing. And long may it continue as such. Heaven forbid that it becomes popular amongst pikers, although I fear that its inevitable. I have this vision of bleak or gudgeon having names. Mary the 10,891,000 th.

I personally see it as a harmless bit of fun, for carp anglers, but, along with bivvy slippers, it has to be said that it is one of the reasons that 'carp', as in carp anglers, tends to be misspelt by the lemmings who have avoided becoming carp anglers. Lyn summed it up perfectly!

Hi all, I like to think that in the last 9 months of surfing and joining you good folk on AnglersNet I've matured enough not to take things so personally.

Lyn, please don't apologise, your right, (probably, maybe biggrin.gif ) I just wanted to get a differing view on it, which I got. wink.gif

I am by nature a very competetive person I'm always setting myself goals, many far beyond my reach.

I'd love to catch Mary or Heather etc, but in reality I haven't got the time or dedication to go for these fish.(which is what it takes, it 'aint easy!)

I set myself targets, these may be individual fish who have names, but I get my enjoyment along the way by meeting new people and learning more about fishing and wildlife.

I'm in no rush, it's not catch at all costs, I think you'll find this is true with a lot of carp anglers.

At the end of the day a name is only a label, a means of distinguishing something or someone, like the name Peter. wink.gif

Atb,

Gaffer.

Guest pete falloon

Pete

yer quite wrong mate, it's not only a carp anglers thing, I used to give names to any fish I caught, eg. roach were called roachy etc since I generally don't catch them that often! I think it's only a moron's thing!

Dave J decided to call his first barbel warty since she had a wart near her tail. After all it's not like they have any choice in the matter, is it? They're not gonna flip their tails to tell us to give them another name! biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Peter Waller:

Naming fish is a carp, now, have I spelt that correctly, thing.

Actually, I believe a few pike have names [1], too. There's a venue in Norfolk (the name of which will come to mind as soon as I hit 'submit', I bet!) which has a thirty by the name of 'The Big Girl' or 'The Old Girl' or something. Maybe not a 'real' name as we know it, but the naming of that fish does mean that people target her directly and report her to the press as such.

I don't think you'll get away from the naming. All the names do is provide an abbreviated description.

All the best,

Elton

[1] One popular name for a big pike is 'You Can Sod Off If You Think I'm Putting My Hand Near That!' biggrin.gif

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

Elton you are right about pike. There used to be a 30lb pike in the 'Church lake' at Horton. Her name 'Thicky' as she got caught so often. She now resides in a glass case in Mr Welch's house!

Before any of you start I'd better add that her eyes were bigger than her belly, ie she tried to eat a tench about 6/8lb and just couldn't digest it. We all tried in vain to help her but in the end she died.

It was a sad day as she was the fish in Church Lake that I would have liked to have fished for. Bet that makes some of you carp anglers cringe biggrin.gif

lyn

Guest gray-catchpole

hi all

i dont know about anyone else on my local water but i named a pike i caught at the end of last season it was a twenty and had a big scratch, on the one side, her name is scrappey, ive had her a couple of times this season, i see lots of people after pike, and non of them mention this fish, so naming fish for me is just a label by wich i can remember biggrin.gif

------------------

gray-catchpole

http://catchpole.cjb.net

Think I'll name the next carp I catch Lyn... they haven't got names in the lake I'm on at the moment.. could open up a whole new idea.. there's a big one that I could call the Gaffer.. what should I call the little stunted one?

Carp get named because they are easily recognisable and comparatively rare as they get bigger.. Barbel are next...

Hapy Carping