Naming fish, mainly carp.

Guest Gaffer

Guest Paul Selman

I think naming fish is fine, and shows our great affection for our quarry and the fact that we really care. The antis can't handle that concept!

When I catch a familiar carp with a name, it is like bumping into an old friend again!

There's nowt wrong with that!

Guest Graham E

I think one of the benefits is that we can follow the health/condition of the fish from month to month or so. It tells you when they generally are at their biggest.

There was a barbel called Boris that used to get caught fairly regularly, can't remember the River?

I name all my fish, usually, "Beautiful".

Naming Carp? no not a problem with that.As some have mentioned a simple method of reference.Pete, maybe if Pike were more readily identifiable to the untrained eye they would be named too?(God forbid though,hey mate!)The only hang up I have with "naming" is that all anglers,even though a bit unrealistic(especially on some of the modern day carp waters)would like to think that they had caught a truely wild "virgin" fish.Even though I would like to think myself a realist nothing pisses me off more when I have landed a lovely uncaught by me fish,than the resident lake dick head comming up and saying "Oh,thats Boilymuncher when she came out yesterday she weighed 23lb 4oz.She's a right mug you know"

"My mate[drops name of well known crap yob] had her at blah blah blah ...."Bet you have all been there! "you caught her then mate?" "No but..........."

[This message has been edited by BUDGIE (edited 19 November 2000).]

If your like me (a little cwazy :rolleyes smile.gif You probly talk to your fish when your unhooking and holding it for a photo, or maybe swearing at it as it dives for a snag. so it must be okay to give them names. It's like Chris Yates' saying when he was weighing a fish we are just reducing it to a number instead of admiring it for what it looks like, it's better to name it. Talking of named fish i remember someone telling me about a male fish with a female name or vice versa, i can't remember how you tell the difference- i'll start a new thread.

Bretty

Guest Paul Selman

Budgie, when are you going to grow up and stop offending me and many others by using the term 'crap yob?

I am a thinking, intelligent human being that likes fishing for carp. Stop stereotyping me please.

Budgie, you're probably right, although each pike has distinctive markings, they are very difficult to tell apart, you need good, clear photos and a bit of time.. same goes for tench and bream.. Although I don't mind the naming of carp I do find some of the names 'derogatory' to my chosen quarry! and the lack of imagination is staggering...

Paul, I do think you are being a bit sensitive here, personally I have no problem with the term as I feel it applies to a lot of the carp scene! I don't think Budgie was, or would ever refer to you as included in the generic term, however from my experience it does cover a lot of 'carp anglers'

It's much like the saying that match anglers have a lower IQ than their shoe size... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Happy carping (or anything else)

Guest Bruno Broughton

Naming pike ain't new - Naughty Neville's former record was tagged 'Dora' (The Explorer) in acknowledgement of her peripatetic habits.

In the early 80s a one-eyed pike in Canal Pool at Kingsbury Water Park was named 'Dick' (as after 'Dead-Eye Dick'). biggrin.gif

To my knowledge, the fish was caught 28 times in two and a half years. When the fish died, the Sutton Coldfield pikers submitted a piece which was read on the regional TV news. The punch line was: for the funeral, send deadbaits, not flowers.

------------------

Bruno

Paul,Stereotype you? If the cap fits wear it.You obviously havn't bothered to read the origonal post which defined the term that you find so offensive.Are you defending the actions of these people who make all of us who fish for Carp look so bad to the rest of the Angling world or are you denying they exist?You have allready proved that you have a sense of humour by the way you replyed to my tongue in cheek send up of your last complaint,so the problem isn't there.I don't know you or the way you fish so would not dream of stereotyping you(I do have my doubts though after all this reading I do on your site reference 3lb TC rods for every thing!)You put your self up as a champion of modern carping (I don't mean this in the compettition sense)so why are people like you not trying to put the house of carping in order?Tell me Paul that all the things that I(an angler of many years who fished exclusively for Carp for a 11 year period.And despite Carp fishing playing a lesser part in my angling these days still gets in in excess of 1200 carp rod hours a year)and others now complain about/see on the bank doesn't happen and I will never mention "Crap Yobs" again.If you ain't one then I sugest you stop telling me to grow up and stop offending intelligent carp anglers and start using the term yourself directed at the correct quarter.But and this is a big but you feel that you fit in too this sad section of people who have destroyed the world of Carp fishing that I and many others loved and admired my post is just wasted space and the offence that you feel is justified.

By the way Paul,If you can not understand my initial posts re "Crap Yobs" then I will not waste any more space on this forum.However please feel free to contact me direct.I would like to make it quite clear that this is in no way a personnel attack on Paul or any proper "Carp Boy"

Guest Chris Shaw

Whoops be careful BUDGIE you have upset the almighty CARP GODS again biggrin.gif

Carp fishing twenty years ago was fun, now everything has to have a name or be made of stainless steel.

The so called well known carp anglers have destroyed carp fishing as I used to know it trying to make a fast buck out of the sport.

The day Bait 78 started selling all the protien bait ingredients I can remember saying, " This will be the beginning of the end of carp fishing." Naming fish is part of that destructive process.

I for one do not want to go carp fishing and catch Old One Eye at 23lbs, I just want to go carp fishing and enjoy it without all the nonsense that goes along with it these days.

Everytime I have been out in the last few years I have seen rude arrogant carp anglers who think that they own the water and can do as they please, even down to bailiffs roping off one end of a lake so that they could fish it to themselves and barring everbody else from that area. Sorry to sound like this but I say it how I see it. If some of these people had fished some of the syndicate waters that I have fished in the past they would have been thrown out in less than a week.

Mind you there are certain carp anglers these days who seem to think that they own carp fishing.

------------------

Chris Shaw

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 20 November 2000).]

This has always been my point Chris.One of the main reasons I dont Carp fish so much now is because of all the going ons.I limit myself to quiet waters here and abroad where I can pretend I am still in the pre-Carp Fever days.Funny how all these people automaticly asume people like us are anti carp or non carp anglers!Nothing could be further from the truth. frown.gif