Another stupid question

manse

Geezer

thats the point.

No one has ever caught a proper bream from these waters only what they called skimmer bream.

I reckon they are Silver bream.

If they were skimmers someone would of caught a proper bream by now.

The waters are very heavily fished by pleasure and match anglers.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The colour change in Bream (note the capital B :D ), is not always associated with size. A couple of heavily pressured carp lakes I fished had many Bream (note the capital again :) ),of 6-8lbs and they were very bright silver.

We put this down to them being young and well fed.

Bream are handsome fish, beautifully proportioned and graceful movers in the water. They do not tire you out or stress your tackle,They feed regularly, breed prolificaly and would seem to be the ideal stocking fish.

Den :rolleyes:

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

quote:

Originally posted by poledark:

The colour change in Bream (note the capital B
:D
), is not always associated with size. A couple of heavily pressured carp lakes I fished had many Bream (note the capital again
:)
),of 6-8lbs and they were very bright silver.

We put this down to them being young and well fed.

Bream are handsome fish, beautifully proportioned and graceful movers in the water. They do not tire you out or stress your tackle,They feed regularly, breed prolificaly and would seem to be the ideal stocking fish.

Den
:rolleyes:

Totally agree with you, Den

Do these couple of double-handed slabs meet with your appro?! :)

Bream11.jpg

bream14.jpg

Aaaah yes,yes,yes.

I have joined a water reputed to hold Snot....oops, Bream to 15lb, so "hold the front page",

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I once caught a common bream from the River Glen that couldn't have been much more than a couple of ounces, yet if was deep bronze in colour with well defined scales, just like a bonzai seven pounder. I never caught another one like it though, so perhaps it was suffering from premature ageing, or was ridiculously stunted.

Not all silver bream have the coral tinged fins, as like many other fish, if they come from turbid water they will have that "washed out" appearance. The main giveaways though are the eyes, which are much larger than those of the common bream, and the scales, which are larger and more roach-like than the slightly triangular scales of the common bream. I used to fish Grimsthorpe Lake in Lincolnshire, which had vast numbers of silver bream. When you caught a common bream of the same size, the difference was quite obvious.

Silver bream are very common in some parts of the Trent, (certainly at Winthorpe and Collingham, if the cormorants haven't eaten them all), where they can be caught in the edges. If you ever hear of anyone talking about catching hybrids from the Trent, especially in multiple catches, it is 99 percent certain that they have caught silver bream. I have yet to see a genuine hybrid in the Trent, although they are bound to exist in isolation.

[ 02. April 2003, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

quote:

Originally posted by RUDD:

Skimmer bream are silver.

Some people say Silver bream are a myth.

There are only a few places you can catch them in the Uk which are in Norfolk and Suffolk.

Even John wilson doesnt belive they exist.

The weird thing is I have fished a water which was very pressured and no Bream where ever caught, only hundreds of Skimmers.

I belive these were Silver bream as no bream were present.

This is a pukka Silver Bream

BreamSilver.jpg

Note the colour of the fins compared with Bream

so whats this naughty boy then ? (no not the phone :D ) as you can tell bream are not my usuall quarry and the ones i get occasionally are a browny colour :confused:

Image2.jpg

has a boily addiction

[ 02. April 2003, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

It's difficult to tell, as it is at a funny angle and you can't see the eyeball properly. I must admit the scales do look a bit odd for a common bream, but it could be the angle of the flash that's doing that. I think it's a common bream, but I would love to see a better photo of it.

Diamond Geezer's pic is typical of the Trent fish, but as I haven't seen any much over half a pound I don't know what they might look like when they grow larger. The silvers from Grimsthorpe lake were much paler than that, but had that large, oval eyeball. Common bream can vary quite a lot: the snotty Welland bream look nothing like the bronze, broad shouldered beauties that you get from some stretches of the Tidal Trent.

[ 02. April 2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.