Interesting Weather lately

Newt

If you read about the explosion to remove the "Bird's Point" plug fuse portion of the Mississippi River levee near Cairo, IL, you might be interested in a before & after photo of the land that was flooded to lower the river level a bit.

birdspoint_floodway.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read about the explosion to remove the "Bird's Point" plug fuse portion of the Mississippi River levee near Cairo, IL, you might be interested in a before & after photo of the land that was flooded to lower the river level a bit.

birdspoint_floodway.jpg

Great pics - better here than fusrther downstream...

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• 2 weeks later...

strange how things change ,perhaps were looking at things wrongly.

5,000 years ago a civilisation existed purely on the fact the Nile flooded every year and made allowances to help.

why cannot we build our houses on platforms in flood prone or risk areas? as for the agriculture so long as its not sea water the fields should flourish with the silts left behind.

it would take a great deal of money and a great deal of persuasion but these areas could be far safer if people realised you can rarely stop nature (even with all those guns :D ) and work with it

trouble is is it because its not a yearly thing you can plan for a bit like our country grinding to a halt at the first snowflake?

you would have problems with livestock (i doubt the Egyptians kept many animals compared to now) but perhaps that would be the hardest bit to get round but at least they have a name in common.

why not save all this manna (or water) from heaven i'm sure the US could put the war on hold and use the money to make vast reservoirs to at least save a bit (the earth recovered could serve as the platforms for the nearby houses),next month they will have a hosepipe ban if its anything like here :rolleyes:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

it probably has been before in the past perfectly naturally ;)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2011/05/16/britain...n-may-heatwave/

Britain set to fry for a fortnight in May heatwave

Britain is set to sizzle in a two week-long heatwave predicted to start this Saturday - which will make this May the hottest for 350 years.

After a few showers this week, the heatwave will kick in, sparking fears of a major drought across the country.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

La Niña appears to be kicking butt all over the place.

Bring back El Niño weather patterns please.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 2 weeks later...

The maximum temperature averaged 16.3 degrees while the mercury barely pushed past 12 degrees on May 11, the coldest day this month.

Wimps! :D

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog