TRY THIS FOR PERCH

TRY LEDGERING A DEAD STCKLE BACK WITH THE SPIKE CAREFULLY REMOVED. FLOAT IT A COUPLE OF INCHES OF THE BOTTOM AND EVERY NOW AND AGAIN TWICH THE BAIT AND THEN BRING IT BACK ABOUT 10 INCHES TOWARDS YOU. DO THIS ABOUT EVERY 30 MINS. THIS MAKES THE FISH LOOK LIKE ITS DYING THEREFORE THE PERCH WILL TARGET THE FISH FOR ITS PREY.

ALSO TAKING THE SPIKES OUT OF THE STIKLEBACKS HELPS THE PERCH TO SHALLOW IT IN ONE BIG GULP AND YOU WONT HAVE TO WAIT AGES FOR THE FISH TO TAKE THE BAIT.

TO ADD ATTRACTION TO THE BAIT EITHER INJECT THE FISH WITH MAKREL FLAVORING(ALTHOUGH THIS CAN BE A BIT FIDDLELY) OR YOU CAN PIERCE A LITTLE HOLE IN THE FISH WITH A FINE NEEDLE TO REDUCE ITS JUISE ANYWAY IF ANYONE TRYS THIS OR HAS DONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW BECAUSE I HAVE CAUGHT 4LBERS ON THIS METHOD BEFORE AND I WANT TO KNOW IF IT WORKS FOR YOU OH AND WATCH OUT YOU DO STAND A CHANGE OF CATCHING PIKE ON THIS METHOD AS WELL

"HAVE A NICE DAY AND BEST OF FISHES"! :P

Livebaiting for perch has to be one of the major ways of catching 'em. Deadbaits do work but all the feedback that I read and hear suggests that deads are far less effective than lives.

Back in the days of old I sometimes used to fish with a man called Les Proudfoot. He had over 200 three pound plus perch in his career. The majority were caught on one to two inch rudd livebaits. Quite a few were caught on Voblex spinners too. But whether sticklebacks would be any better than rudd, I don't know. I have never tried them. What has been good have been small ruff, but whether they would be better de-spined is open to debate, but I doubt it. The perch expect a ruff and a stickleback to have spines and they obviously don't deter them.

Stunted Rudd... what a fantastic bait for perch they are, especially a freshly caught live one!

Not too sure about sticklebacks either... the difference between a stickleback out of spawning colours and a minnow is pretty negligible really and minnows don't have spines that need removing.

Was a little concerned by the "having to wait ages for the fish to take the bait" part - I've never had a problem with perch taking any bait, let alone something as small as a stickleback, minnow or little rudd. How long are you leaving them Barbel and Perch Man?

As with everything fishing, your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!

Peter Waller:

Livebaiting for perch has to be one of the major ways of catching 'em. Deadbaits do work but all the feedback that I read and hear suggests that deads are far less effective than lives.

On many waters freshwater deadbaits can be dynamite for perch. The following is an extract from an article of mine on perch baits. For more details go to: http://anglersnet.co.uk/authors/steve10.htm

"However, perch (like zander I'm told) will very rarely take a static seabait. Indeed, I once fished with whitebait on one rod for three whole seasons on a perch water without success , although I caught large numbers of chub, carp and tench. Whether it's because perch don't like the taste of seabaits, or whether they're not fresh enough I don't know. However, I do know that seabaits are next to useless for perch. Even freshwater deadbaits have to be ultra fresh otherwise their success rate falls sharply."

"If you turn back to the table you'll see that deadbaits accounted for only 6% of the 3lb+ perch. Yet when you take into account how little they're used, and then largely by pike anglers who these days tend to use seabaits for convenience, you'll realise just how effective deadbaits are for specimen stripies. In fact some perch seem to be largely scavengers, and in overstocked commercial fisheries there must be a regular supply of suitable sized deadbaits. Indeed there's one perch of 3lbs 13ozs I've hooked 3 times on deadbaits yet it's never taken a livebait despite my fishing lives about twice as much as deads. The first time it spat the deadbait back at me just before I reached for the net! Having landed it the second time I've moved off this water but I wonder what it contains now?"

[ 10. January 2003, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Contratulations on your 4lber - a cracking fish!

I agree with Peter about not needing to remove the spines. I also don't feel that mackeral oil will help, and in fact reckon it may even be a hindrance as perch don't seem to like seabaits. Also as you say pike may get to the bait first.

However I very much agree with you about twitching the bait back. In fact I very rarely ever fish a static deadbait for any species as I'm convinced that the movement is attactive to the fish. The main exception is when I'm presenting a bait tight to a feature.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve,

I've some of your old caliber trace wire somewhere. On the assumption that one should always use a wire trace, if you are unsure if pike are present or not, is a softer trace "de-rigeur".

I would imagine the new soft drennan trace wire would be excellent as well.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Steve, there was an interesting article in Coarse Angling Today, or whatever it's called, on this very subject. Not something that I have ever tried, deadbaiting for perch that is. Mainly lures, sometimes lives and worms in the winter. But having read what both you and B & P man have to say, plus bits from both Newt and J.T. Bagwell, I'm going to give this jigging lark with plastic worms a thorough bash for the last few weeks of the season. I've got my eye on a particular stretch of river that has seen some pretty big perch come out of over the last year or two.