My first 4 night carp session

spangles

Hi all, i am farely new to the carp scene and will be going on my first 4nighter in june, my problem is bait. There is so much choice out there i just dont know whether to buy lots of different flavours of boilies or just stick to 1 or 2 maybe a sweet and a savoury. I really would like your input here as i have the least knowledge on this subject.

Thanks in advance. Dave

Life is rather like a tin of sardines - we're all of us looking for the key.

I would always take a selection for a long session like this. Not only of boilies but of partical's as well including stuff like pellet and corn. Also, i always have things like Hi-Viz foam pop ups, coloured rig foam, glugs etc etc. I have a big bait bag that i take whereever i go! You need to be prepared for every eventuallaility. It does help if you know whats working though. Before a big session like this i would make a few trips down just to see whats catching or if its to far speak to local tackle shops etc.

All the best, let us know how you get on.

gone

I would always take a selection for a long session like this. Not only of boilies but of partical's as well including stuff like pellet and corn. Also, i always have things like Hi-Viz foam pop ups, coloured rig foam, glugs etc etc. I have a big bait bag that i take whereever i go! You need to be prepared for every eventuallaility. It does help if you know whats working though. Before a big session like this i would make a few trips down just to see whats catching or if its to far speak to local tackle shops etc.

All the best, let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the reply, particles, corn, meat,bread and glug are what i would have as standard in my carp kit so to speak, what i am finding is the amount of different priced different weights and different brands of boilies from 100g hand rolled to dynamite 1kg bags, freezer baits, shelflife baits, its quite confusing. I never knew there were so many out there. Regards. Dave.

Thanks for the reply, particles, corn, meat,bread and glug are what i would have as standard in my carp kit so to speak, what i am finding is the amount of different priced different weights and different brands of boilies from 100g hand rolled to dynamite 1kg bags, freezer baits, shelflife baits, its quite confusing. I never knew there were so many out there. Regards. Dave.

i duno, i take quite a selection of flavours and sizes etc. There is no upper limit, take as much as you can variety wise so you can experiment etc. But also like i said, the only real way to narrow it down is to speak to people fishing the lake and see whats been working.

There is big debate between shelf life and freezer baits. Personally i now almost only use freezer baits but i would recommend just having a search online to find out more info on this, theres loads of views and opinions.

gone

i duno, i take quite a selection of flavours and sizes etc. There is no upper limit, take as much as you can variety wise so you can experiment etc. But also like i said, the only real way to narrow it down is to speak to people fishing the lake and see whats been working.

There is big debate between shelf life and freezer baits. Personally i now almost only use freezer baits but i would recommend just having a search online to find out more info on this, theres loads of views and opinions.

Thanks for the reply, started boilie shopping now, i think i could get carried away with all these flavours lol.

Mainline boilies mate. I'd recommend cell but the new grange has bin out only 2 weeks so could be lethal. Buy some hemp to and add some chilli or buy shop made stuff and add tuna to it. It might be sunny so take floating baits or get on the zigs.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you pike. please !!!

My approach is to stick with just one boilie if I know the water. If I'm somewhere new I may opt for 2 different ones and fish one rod on one and the other rod(s) on the other. That way if one seems to be producing much better then I can switch.

You can fish over hemp, but that's only really any good if you're equipped to put it out (accurately) to the spots your fishing. Margins are fine with a pult but any further and you'll need a spod and spod rod.

Rob.

I'm in total agreement with Rob.Using lots of different baits just confuses the carp and the angler! Use one boilie/bait and get some confidence in it. Using hemp as an attractor regardless of what you fish over it is allways a winner.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

You could always dry the hemp or roll it in icing sugar and pva bag it.

You could wrap in clay and pult it out but it's also hardly an easy option. If you really want to feed the swim with lots of artificial and expensive chemicals then feel free. I dread to think though how much sugar and pva you'd need to put out a kilo of hemp !

Keep it simple.

Rob.