which rod?

dave angel

Hi there,

id like to have a bash at some bass on a fly rod but being a novice the weights mean nothing to me.Any reccomendations for me at all.I have foung a spot where they come into a channel as the tides pushes in and have caught a 7lb fish on the spinners with 3-4-5lb fish regularly caught.It does mean a hard paddle in a kayak to a shingle bank and a further walk out the sandy spot but well worth it.

I look forward to your replies,and no im not telling you my secret spot!!!

Hi there,

id like to have a bash at some bass on a fly rod but being a novice the weights mean nothing to me.Any reccomendations for me at all.I have foung a spot where they come into a channel as the tides pushes in and have caught a 7lb fish on the spinners with 3-4-5lb fish regularly caught.It does mean a hard paddle in a kayak to a shingle bank and a further walk out the sandy spot but well worth it.

I look forward to your replies,and no im not telling you my secret spot!!!

An 8wt rod 9'6" to 10' should do you! a wieght forward floating line or a sink tip with a cheap wide arbor reel.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Fox do a rod specifically for Bass fishing...IIRC it's a 9wt which should handle a 10wt line

Far too heavy!! In my opinion but we all have our own thoughts on whats best, Ive had pike to over 14lb and rainbows to 16lb

And they havent even troubled a 7 wt most of the sea fishing in the uk will be fish a lot smaller.Granted with tidal action to contend with but a 8wt will do you, if its that windy or rough I would argue put the fly rod away and use a more suiterble method to target your qaurry.

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Far too heavy!! In my opinion but we all have our own thoughts on whats best, Ive had pike to over 14lb and rainbows to 16lb

And they havent even troubled a 7 wt most of the sea fishing in the uk will be fish a lot smaller.Granted with tidal action to contend with but a 8wt will do you, if its that windy or rough I would argue put the fly rod away and use a more suiterble method to target your qaurry.

I use a Ron Thompson Steelhead Pro. It's ideal for my needs. There's a great deal at the moment at glasgow angling centre which will set you up for less than 40 quid! The reel is naff but you won't cry if you loose it and the rod is really surprisingly good. Click below:

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/cgi-bin/sh...14551#a1_214551

I don't think I'd be using a 7wt for pike fishing but that's just my preference.

I usually fish Chew on the fly which does contain pike to the high 30s which are caught on flies in the warmer months. TBH I'd be gutted if I did hook a fish the big and it tired and went belly up...heavier rods may mean less fun but are at the end of the day better for the pike's welfare.

As for bass I think your right in the comment on technique, probably better off boosting out some plugs/spinners if there's a fierce headwind!

Heavy rods don't necessarily land fish quicker. The outfit has to be balanced. It starts with the fly, or at least the size of fly. I use a lot of 14 - 18 and they just don't work on a heavy leader, so I use 4lb Fluorocarbon. If I used a 4lb leader with an 8 wt rod I would be snapping off all the time, so I use a 4 wt rod and have no problems. Because the 4wt rod protects the leader I can really give the fish some stick and land it quickly. The fishery that I mostly fish has a high number of double figure fish and also a high number of 3 and 4wt rod users. The fishery owner wouldn't allow it if he thought that there was a problem. There is no question that it works.

So, back to the original question, you would probably want to use fairly large flies and to turn them over properly you would want heavier line. If you can cast the fly OK on a 7wt then that is rod enough to land anything you are likely to encounter where you are going to fish but it is more likely that you will need an 8wt to cast large streamer type flies successfully.

Balance is everything, have fun with it.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I brought an Airflow 8/9 weight and used it today.I managed to catch 7 bass in about 2 hours,biggest was 2.5lb.I have just had the best day ever.Absolutely awesome.The sea by the pontoon was bubbling with bass chasing up small fish,there were hundreds washed up on the shore about 1" long.Was this a very lucky day/beginners luck or just a good spot?

Anyway to top it off i came home to a jiffy bag of about 80 flys sent to me by my brother in Australia,just a top top day.

Cheers and tight lines.

An 8wt rod 9'6" to 10' should do you! a wieght forward floating line or a sink tip with a cheap wide arbor reel.

Yes 7 or 8 weight are usual but if not too much wind or not needing heavy fly then have some fun on a 5 or 6 weight.

I brought an Airflow 8/9 weight and used it today.I managed to catch 7 bass in about 2 hours,biggest was 2.5lb.I have just had the best day ever.Absolutely awesome.The sea by the pontoon was bubbling with bass chasing up small fish,there were hundreds washed up on the shore about 1" long.Was this a very lucky day/beginners luck or just a good spot?

Anyway to top it off i came home to a jiffy bag of about 80 flys sent to me by my brother in Australia,just a top top day.

Cheers and tight lines.

Result, sounds liek you had a great time