Rig Questions

ga-rat

I am enjoying all the answers and advice I am getting from my other posts.

Just as I think I am getting somewhere another question pops into this empty head of mine.

This question is about the use of rigs, I have found lots of info about making them and why they work.....but..... what happened to sticking the bait straight onto the hook on just a main line from hook to reel, whether it be maggot, worm, sweetcorn, luncheon meat, boilies.

I found a few diagrams about making rigs, some didn't seem to difficult but are they essential? Is this just going to be another one of those things down to personal taste? or do you really get better results.

just an example I found.

http://www.carp-fishing-tactics.com/carp-r...t-balanced.html

I really do just want the knowledge to get the best possible results and have fun!

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get too hung up on all the 'special' rigs you read about, fish still get caught on 'normal' gear.

A lot of this stuff is part and parcel of the 'carp explosion' that has taken over angling today, many are used in situations they were not designed for. They catch fish, but are not the be all and end all of angling. I don't use bolt rigs, or hair rigs, and I still catch. Just keep it simple until you get back into your stride, and then, (if you feel the need) look into other rigs, and see if they suit your style/type of fishing..

Above all enjoy yourself.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Many rigs are a lot more complicated than they need to be and you have to remember every knot is a weakness in the whole rig. A weight on your line stopped by a split shot with your mainline straight through to your hook is a basic ledger but still very effective, to not damage the line you can use a float stop like this one:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/rig-section/le..._leger_rig.html

Most of my ledgering now is done with a free running ledger consisting of a weight slid onto the mainline (normally with a snap link swivel so i can change quickly) then a rubber bead slid on the line to protect the knot and stop the lead catching the knot, then tie this mainline to the swivel and then a hooklength. Very effective and safe and simple :D

Don't be baffled by the many carp rigs you see because unless you're after a 25lb specimen the chances are you won't need half of them or ever use them.

(i'll also add that if you are starting out with carp fishing i recommend the drennan carp bandits or power bandits, these are strong hooklength materials with a hair rigged bait band which are great for 8mm and 10mm pellets, if you are after carp say and i'll give you a bit more advice on that)

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Don't get too hung up on all the 'special' rigs you read about, fish still get caught on 'normal' gear.

A lot of this stuff is part and parcel of the 'carp explosion' that has taken over angling today, many are used in situations they were not designed for. They catch fish, but are not the be all and end all of angling. I don't use bolt rigs, or hair rigs, and I still catch. Just keep it simple until you get back into your stride, and then, (if you feel the need) look into other rigs, and see if they suit your style/type of fishing..

Above all enjoy yourself.

John.

for once i completley agree with John! :D The mainstay of my fishing these days is carp, but only after years of the simpler stuff. My view was always to master the float before i moved on. Float fishing teaches you more about technique, balance, watercraft etc than anyother method in my book. Start simple and work through at your own pace!

gone

I was hoping to get feedback like this, I like the keep it simple idea.

thankyou davedave for the link to a Running Leger Rig, I like the look of this, its very similar to the way I used to fish.

I have just been watching a Matt Hayes dvd that came with "improve your coarse fishing magazine". The rigs he had were really for specific fish in lakes. I suppose most my fishing was river fishing and it was mainly ledgure, you never knew what you were going to catch, could be anything, Bleak, Perch, Trout, Gudgeon or Chub this was half the fun!

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

for once i completley agree with John! :D The mainstay of my fishing these days is carp, but only after years of the simpler stuff.

Simpler stuff?

Does fishing get more simpler then Carp fishing ? :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

for once i completley agree with John! :D

Don't tell everybody Sean, I've my image to think about you know. ;)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Even though I sometimes use quite fancy rigs (and have been responsible for developing some!) I really think that you should just do what you did when you used to fish and as I keep saying it will still work! Just catch up with all the new stuff slowly bit by bit and as and when it may be useful.

9 times out of 10 simple is best.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Simpler stuff?

Does fishing get more simpler then Carp fishing ? :D

My carp fishing is far from simple, a hell of a lot of thought and planning go into my sessions. Its isnt all about a hair rigged boilie on a simple bolt rig.

gone

My carp fishing is far from simple, a hell of a lot of thought and planning go into my sessions. Its isnt all about a hair rigged boilie on a simple bolt rig.

Yes it is :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek