Drennan quick change beads

davedave

Has anyone got any reviews or comments on the drennan quick change beads? They look very clever and i'm tempted to get a pack, i'm just not confident on playing in fish (especially carp) when the whole thing rests on a flimsy piece of plastic.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http...1t:429,r:24,s:0

It just doesn't look sturdy enough to me, but i suppose they wouldn't sell it if t wasn't, or would they :g:

Any advice or reviews on these would be great, cheers :)

And good luck to those fishing at wingham :D

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

It's only like a stonfo and plenty of carp are caught on the pole. If the internal section is nylon, it probably has a breaking strain in the tens of kilo's so i wouldn't worry about it.

The "flimsy piece of plastic" did make me smile though. Take a look at you line, it's almost the very definition of a flimsy piece of plastic.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

yes i suppose, thanks ken. Have you tried them then? They look good but at the back of mind i see a 15lb carp just snapping that thing in a flash, but no you're right they must be made strong or they wouldn't sell them.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

No, I've not tried them but I might pick some up because I'm putting some kit together at the moment for a few proper coarse fishing sessions this season. The difference is, I'll be looking to avoid carp 'cause I hate the damned things.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

It's only like a stonfo and plenty of carp are caught on the pole. If the internal section is nylon, it probably has a breaking strain in the tens of kilo's so i wouldn't worry about it.

The "flimsy piece of plastic" did make me smile though. Take a look at you line, it's almost the very definition of a flimsy piece of plastic.

Formula one racing cars and Sunseekers came to mind as well ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Why should I use one of them rather than a snap link swivel that I normally use when I want to change my hooklength?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Why should I use one of them rather than a snap link swivel that I normally use when I want to change my hooklength?

To give Drennan more money and to follow the latest gimmick...hehehe...or perhaps they come in camo or pink...hehehe

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Main advantage being is all knots are concealed inside the bead so there is no weight to catch on it or damage the knot. Also it buufers the weight a bit. But other than that though they're very similar to a snap link

It's usually a rubber bead and a swivel for me but I've no idea if I can find my rubber beads.

I have been using the Korum quick change beads for a long while now and was very pleased with them. then i noticed Drennan decided to bring out a version and i can honestly say i prefer to use the drennan ones now. they are ever so slightly bigger but the build quality is much better.

these things are very very strong so dont worry at all about playing decent hard fighting fish on these beads. your knots will give before these beads do.

you also get more for your money with the drennan ones. they do a pack of 6 instead of 5 korum jobbies for the same price. they are also mixed colours instead of just black. so you can choose a colour to match the bottom.

so far they have been faultless.

I have opened a pack of the Korum ones and when i went to tie them to my line. they were useless. they just where not moulded correctly so the line would pull through the hole when you tie your main line too. annoying when you have just paid £2.50 for some little bits of totally useless plastic!

get on the bank and try them for yourself.