GOSHAWKS

anyone watch NatureWatch on BBC2? really good program featuring Goshawks, accompanied by some interesting research and data.

the story goes that Goshawks where first off revered by the nobility, for their grace and hunting prowess and like all of our native hunters they flourished. then along bumbled the industrial revolution, the land enclosures act (thats the one where the business/political elite stole your inheritance, your birthrights to the land) and with them industrialised farming. farmers, in a quite uncharacteristic move, decide to just kill all the Goshawks because they felt they're a pest. by the turn of the twentieth century they're virtually extinct. then the first world war does for a massive percentage of the male population of Britain, the land is not used as intensively and the Goshawks start to make a recovery.

cut to today. goshawks exist in Britain only in a few remote mountainous regions. this confused naturalists, because in every single other european country where a similar thing happened Goshawks have made an amazing recovery. they inhabit cities and parks as well as their natural habitats. in Holland they can regularly be seen in the big cities (my dad once saw one take a kitten!) so what was different here? why such a pathetic recovery limited to so few places, all remote and mountainous? there is only one answer, no conjecture just one solid reason. in this country as soon as newly mature juveniles move down from the highlands to the lowland, as they do elsewhere they are killed by a hardcore of gamekeepers who are involved specifically with the rearing of pheasant. this is the reason that whilst Goshawks have flourished in europe here they're still pretty much endangered.

i don't expect this to be popular. but it is an illustration. my last two rants where based around water abstraction to feed 'put & take' trout fisheries, and how that is is in effect poaching an entire river system from those who have a right to enjoy it for commercial gain. this is just another example of those who tell us so boldly that they are the rightful 'Husbands' of our land are in fact little but low-end rapists, who steal it from us for forever for short term gain

i would reiterate that i have no dreadlocks, don't smell (too much) have a dog, but never on a string, have never tried to re-align my karmic balance by chanting a mantra about beans in a retreat in totnes or anything else of that nature. i am a passionate angler, and have no qualms about hunting for food. i just hate the way our country has been turned into a big pound note machine by fat greedy whores

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever

I can't say I disagree with most of your post but I think I can class myself as very fortunate in that I live in an area where there are goshawks....two breeding pairs that I know of near our little town. We were lucky to have some re-introductions in the area (I think in the 70s) and although not common they are seen frequently (by me at least).

It's a shame that gamekeepers and farmers are not better educated in the ways of wildlife. Too many 'old-wive's tales' and not enough observation!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

In 2009 (the most recent full bird report for Hampshire) there were 12 breeding pairs of Goshawk in the New Forest which successfully raised a minimum of 25 young.

The species in England which is in far more trouble is the Hen Harrier; but while the large shooting estates (and The Songbird Survival Trust - which is the same thing effectively) continue to persecute most birds of prey it is surprising that some species are doing well as they are.

If you want a heads up on the amount of persecution - particularly rife in Scotland and Ireland (where even many re-introduced birds have been poisoned) take a good look around the * Raptor Politics* website.

Ospreys, Golden Eagles, White-tailed Eagles, Peregrines, Buzzards, Red Kites are all regularly targeted with both guns and poisoned carcasses.

It is a shameful state of affairs when it is completely illegal and yet very little is achieved in regards to stopping the slaughter of these magnificent creatures.

Just adding my nod of agreement with all of the above posts.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I have seen a Goshawk hunting at Speen Moors in the wooded bit between front and backstream for NAA members benefit ,saw it twice once for 2 seconds and once for a massive 5 seconds which is often all you catch a glimpse of them for ..at least all i normally manage .

Went out with a falconry pal of my mate with one hunting ironically enough Pheasants ,amazing day and cannot believe how fast they shoot through the woods between tress ,Seldom see the hit as the Pheasants always fly into the cover of woodland and think they are safe in there Hawthorne clump until the Goshawk piles into it at mach eleventynine .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: