I blame Anderoo

Tony U

Well after playing with Anderoo's drop shotting outfit at Wingham, I have taken the plunge and bought myself a 7 ft Mitchell Mag Pro 702Ml 5/18G Dropshot Rod, and I am working my way through a number of online sites to look for a range of Lures to use with the outfit. I will also pay Andy Lush a visit to get the weights, hooks, swivels and all of the other paraphernalia I will require.

So yet another way to spend more cash on angling. Yippee and thanks to Anderoo, Sue will be eternally grateful :):)

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dropshotting is perfect for pressured fish. I've been surprised it isn't more often used in the UK.

Tell Sue it is your duty to get yourself outfitted properly. After all, one cannot effectively drop shot without the proper equipment. :D :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I've already bought some soft plastics from the internet and I am looking for more. The method looks ideal for going after big Perch on the Rivers. I wonder if it will work for Chub?

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I thought a main issue with perch is how they hate resistance, and will drop a bait if they feel even the slightest resistance. And going by the picture in this weeks anglers mail, drop shotting looks like the lure hits the stop knot and as soon as the fish moves away they would either feel the tight line or move the lead?

I'm not arguing the fact that it works i know very little about it, but for perch i just wouldn't think it would work because of the weight the fish must feel when it takes the rubber lure?

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Never tried dropshotting. Initially I'd agree with Davedave, but on reflection, I've never known a Perch to hit a lure 'gently' so I guess its as violent and exciting as 'regular' lure fishing.

Gonna give it a go when the rivers open... Maybe a new technique to use on my 'sleeper' rod.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

I thought a main issue with perch is how they hate resistance

Dave, I think the theory is that it's a change in resistance that puts them off. You can use end tackle which would take a good pull to register a bite and provided the resistance is constant the perch don't seem to mind. I use some hefty loafers to suspsend lobs when perching and they'll happily make off with the bait dragging the float with it.

Ledgering with bobbins as indicators could be a problem if the bobbin got to the rod before the strike, the perch would feel the change and drop the bait.

Don't know how that theory sits with drop shotting though.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back