Commercial Carp Fisheries

Fishy Dom

The trouble is that people get used to the commericals and one reason is that they are that are available in the "close season", which actually should only apply to rivers but seem to apply to all types of waters including club lakes and council run ponds. Don't get me wrong i know some closure is necassary but in my area nearly all the councli run ponds in essex close for the full three month period. This leaves us with only the commericals which here in the south east are very expensive(8 to 10 pounds per rod nt uncommon). This continues to be a grip of mine and i would like to see the artifical close season on lakes gone for good.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chesters,

If your club is anything like mine there is a reason the match fishermen seem to get their way more often. We have a membership of 750. A good match turn-out is 40. A good AGM turn-out is 50. I would guess that 75% of that figure is made up from the 40 matchmen. Similarly, work parties seem to have a high percentage of match anglers present! Does that seem a fair description Graham?

It does seem that your improvements are a bit heavy-handed, but, again, seemingly being done by the matchmen.

Getting back to the subject, commercial fisheries, I have limited experience, having lived in an area surrounded by running water for so long. But, Gold Valley, in Aldershot is a wonderful venue. Of course, carp figure highly in the matchmen's mind, because they weigh a lot and will win most matches, but the fishery is a truly mixed fishery, with fantastic specimens of most species.

I've also fished Whiteacres a few times recently and, again, the lakes I've fished are true mixed fisheries. I witnessed a 30lb bag just the other day and not a carp in sight!!

coxie:

I've also fished Whiteacres a few times recently and, again, the lakes I've fished are true mixed fisheries. I witnessed a 30lb bag just the other day and not a carp in sight!!

But did you fish Bolingey, when 5 or 6 years ago you would have got a mixed bag of 50 - 60 lb, now all you can catch are carp, a great lake ruined.

I have fished at Whiteacres for 20+ holidays over the past 13 - 14 years and have never complained about the type of catches. I just think they are more interested in the match angler then the pleasure angler.

Guest sslatter

To my mind there is no more horrendous sight than a lake that is totally denuded of cover, with nice twee fishing platforms evenly-spaced, replete with anglers banging out method feeders etc. And let alone to the detriment of fish species other than carp, but what about the other wildlife? Think of the insect and bird habitat thoughtlessly destroyed. Don't these people who do this realise that all the flora and fauna go together? And we do too? We should encourage a symbiotic relationship with our environment. Unfortunately, business being business, I am sure that these commercial fishery bosses don't give two hoots about the environment- bums on seats is all they want, and if it means ripping out a willow that has been the home for at least 50-60 years to a colony of long-tailed tits (as happened amongst lots of other things at a certain "fishery" I know) then so be it. Thank God I can still find rivers, where if you are prepared to walk a bit, you'll find natural banks, swims, flora etc. to the obvious delight of the local wildlife, where you have to use your watercraft to locate fish, and where, best of all, you won't see another soul.

Commercial carp fisheries obviously fulfil a need otherwise there wouldn't be so many people fishing them!

To my mind they're perfect for the newcomer who may well be lost to angling if he/she doesn't catch on the first few trips. For the more experienced they're a place to regain confidence after a run of blank trips on more difficult venues.

In particular they're a very useful place to try out new ideas that you can then take to a more difficult water. If you go to the latter straightaway and blank it may not be down to your latest brainwave!

Additionally, one big plus for a perch enthusiast like me is that commercial carp waters do produce monster perch. For the reasons why see my piece in the articles section on how to fish such waters. Go to http://anglersnet.co.uk/authors/steve01.htm.

However, I rarely fish commercial carp waters for species other than perch. Instead I much prefer the more lightly-stockly venues that are more of a challenge, and usually wilder and more natural.

As many of you know I run waters which technically could be classed as commercial fisheries as they're not controlled by a club. However I don't run them to make a profit, instead they've cost me a lot of money over the years! Most importantly the stocking policy is entirely different to most if not all commercial carp waters.

Indeed, the only thing I don't like about commercial carp waters is that a few are stocked at such a high level I suspect that it's not good for the fish.

Luckilly we'll all different and commercial carp waters do widen our choice and offer relatively easy fishing.

For me though the biggest plus is that they attract a lot of custom, and thus leave more waters free for those of us who like our fishing to be wilder and more difficult!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Graham E:

Quote " Apparantly the water in question has a photo on the board of every carp in it!"

When I fish a water like that it will be time to call the doctors in!

Do the anglers have an I spy book to check of the fish by name? That must be one of the saddest things I have read. Where on earth is the adventure.

Graham

Graham E:

Quote " Apparantly the water in question has a photo on the board of every carp in it!"

Do the anglers have an I spy book to check of the fish by name? That must be one of the saddest things I have read. Where on earth is the adventure.

Graham

Graham E:

Graham