pole fishing

fishtec1312

BUDGIE,

I've often wondered. The "classic" rods from England especially appear to often be hand made. I'm wondering if the "specs" are even the same for the same "name and model number". I saw different Fuji rings on the same rod from the same manufacturer. In fact, he had two and purchased a third with the "newer" rings which he sent back for exchange of the "older" two he already had. No respectable English tart would have the 3rd rod with different rings. (Rods were £900 each. The manufacturer picked up the shipping costs in exchange for the error because they had a record of him buying the previous two a year earlier. Their error they said.)

I guess my question is exactly how close are the tolerances on "high end" rods, including flyfishing rods? I guess on any rod?

Phone

BUDGIE,

I guess my question is exactly how close are the tolerances on "high end" rods, including flyfishing rods? I guess on any rod?

Phone

"Handmade" is a bit miss leading Phone. All the blanks are made on the same mandrel and the cutting and laying patterns for the cloth that wrapped on them are very precisely controlled.Even the grinding on ground blanks is very highly controlled.

Even when it comes to wrapping the rod ( for us UK guys this is the US/correct term for putting the rings on or what we mistakenly call "rod building")this is normally done on a lathe and with a method called "continuous whipping".These days "handmade/custom" in regards to rod building (a misnomer in its self) is really just about choosing your own fittings,spacings,colours etc.

Some of the higher end blank manufacturers such as Bruce and Walker and Zziplex will "customise" blanks for you by changing the make up/configuration of the wrap on the mandrel to change the action slightly or offer ground or ungrounded blanks to achieve similar but that's about it.

I am only talking about my area of knowledge here ie tubular rods but we have some guys on here who are qualified to talk about built cane so maybe they can also answer? However it does appear that they also follow quite strict time proven designs and take great pride in the tolerances of their work.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

BUDGIE,

Interesting. Makes sense. That's the E-glass was or is also. You're saying there is probably no such thing as a "cottage industry" blank maker.

And really, there are so many commercial choices in finished rods as well as blanks a guy would be hard pressed to "come up" with something new to even ask for. The number of rods on the market is mind boggling isn't it?

Zziplex still does "something" for those competing in "long casting contests" I guess. I often see them mentioned.

Phone

BUDGIE,

Interesting. Makes sense. That's the E-glass was or is also. You're saying there is probably no such thing as a "cottage industry" blank maker.

And really, there are so many commercial choices in finished rods as well as blanks a guy would be hard pressed to "come up" with something new to even ask for. The number of rods on the market is mind boggling isn't it?

Zziplex still does "something" for those competing in "long casting contests" I guess. I often see them mentioned.

Phone

I suppose Zziplex is the closest thing we have to a "cottage industry" blank manufacturer Phone as even though it is based in a modern industrial unit Terry is the only one (or was back in the 90's when I had lots of dealings with him) that actually makes the blanks,An expert caster and one time British Champion Terry not only designs the blanks but actually makes them as well.Not quite a "one man show" as his Mrs handles most of the admin side. Have been top of the casting rods for years and I doubt any will ever surpass them. The in joke locally is that every rod builder/tackle shop hopes they will be the one to get in the last order of blanks before he passes!

On the other hand another British blank manufacturer (coincidentally an ex business partner of Terry Carroll's) Conoflex employs several people who build the blanks.Interestingly the overall standard of finish reflects this never having had anything but perfect blanks from Zziplex but a few dodgy ones from Conoflex.

ALL of the big so called manufacturers (Daiwa,Shakespeare,ABU etc) import their blanks (in fact most the finished rod) from the far East.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!