pole fishing

fishtec1312

i received a pole at a car boot ,but the top 2 sections are knackered but the third has a 5mm crack ,will i need all 3 or could the shop do something wiht the3rd,i only paid £4 for a 14.5mtr so i;m prepered to fix it for that money.any help would be gratefull

i received a pole at a car boot ,but the top 2 sections are knackered but the third has a 5mm crack ,will i need all 3 or could the shop do something wiht the3rd,i only paid £4 for a 14.5mtr so i;m prepered to fix it for that money.any help would be gratefull

i live in blackburn ,up,north but if to far ,many thanks for offering

They are readily available on Ebay and most tackle shops stock/can order them. You might still be able to get an original top three kit for the pole if not get a Universal one that's the closest in butt diameter (Ebay sellers often list this measurement) and cut according to get the best fit.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• 3 months later...

Information Lacking for Fishing Newcomers

I have just recently started fishing. I find that lots of fishermen & people in tackle shops are very helpful & knowledgeful. There is a lot of useful tips & info on the net. So, why can't the manufacturers of the basic equipment be like this.

It almost seems to me that fishing knowledge must be hidden like the "bad mortgages knowledge" of the American bankers or must only be kept by the "priestly class" like ancient times.

Nowadays we are knowledgeable enough to measure things & can communicate the information to the masses! :)

Post the info on the web.

[a] Shot: for floats its nice to know what shot to add. You've finished one size of shot on a float. You want to make a duplicate. How many of one size is equivalent to how many of another size?

[a answer] I think I got this from shotgun pellet size info! Generally (with the full range of sizes in order). Start from original size; skip 2 sizes; the next size is twice the original weight.

Fishing poles: I have looked high & low, and can hardly find any technical specs for poles except length!

People,especially nowadays, want specs for everything. Data is everything for comparison! Surely, "Mines is better than yours!" (In at least one of the specs) is an even bigger brag in angling than almost every where. :)

There would be a miniscule fraction of people that would buy a car because it was the right length or right colour! People want to know how it performs under everyday use e.g.

[]petrol consumption []accelleration [] braking [] handling [] luggage capacity []room for people etc.

The same must be true for poles?

[a] What are safe maximum load (When supported at end[down] and @ 1m [up]and level) ?

How much bend movement (When supported at end[down] and @ 1m [up]and level)? Some will want stiffness; some will want flexing.

[c] What is the length of each section? (Number of disconnections for a length)

[d] Are the sections further towards the tip end fitted on outer (put-ins?0 or inner joints (telescopic?)?

[e] What are the lengths for each section?

[f] What are the diameters (internal and external) for each section?

[g] What is the overall taper for the section?

[From the external end that is not covered by the joint]

[g1] Measure the end diameter [g2] Measure the diameter at 1000mm (1m) from the section end

[g3] Section Taper is (largest diam - smallest diam)/1000

[h] What is the taper for the outside joint ?

[h1] Measure the end diameter [h2] Measure the diameter at 50mm from the section end

[h3] Joint Taper is (largest diam - smallest diam)/50. (50mm distance used for easy calculating)

The manufacturers may have (1) standard Joint Tapers (2) each Joint Tapers matches the Section Taper of the adjoining section. I have found nospecs AT ALL, let alone a British Standards (which seems to have standards for almost everything!) (except for how bankers, journalists and M.P.s should behave :)

Recommended maximum strength of elastic to use

[j] Recommended maximum strength of fishing line to use

[k] Recommended maximum weight of fish per catch.

[l] Recommended optimum for the above 3 items also

The Sale of Goods Act says "An item for sale should be fit for purpose". Well, if an item does not give any instructions and no specifications, it is not stating what purpose it may serve, so it is not "failing" in its "fit for purpose" "Spec"!!

Many items in tackle shops have no instructions and, hence, are completely baffling to the newcomer! Instructions would increase knowledge & sales!!

A very thoughtful first post. Thank you.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

crocatcher,

It's intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer. Mark Twain said, "“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”" That may sound counterintuitive but frankly we pontificate because we really don't (collectively) know ourselves - - - - for sure(?). And, after all, execpt in England, they are just fish.

Phone

crocatcher,

It's intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer. Mark Twain said, "“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”" That may sound counterintuitive but frankly we pontificate because we really don't (collectively) know ourselves - - - - for sure(?). And, after all, execpt in England, they are just fish.

Phone

I like the Mark Twain qoute. (He was a "riverman"). It's the "Rumsfeld Problem". I'm at the stage -I know there's thing I don't know. I just didn't know there's data that I musn't know & can't know! :) Especially as life would be a lot easier if I know what i know I want to know :)

If the anglers knew the diameter specs for their sections (or even the section numbers - A change in the number of pieces in the top kit changes the number of the section it fits on to??! - a friend said -Is that right) they could get replacement section to fit broken / damaged ones.

In America, a fishing rod and a fishing pole are often both called a fishing pole!

I feel honoured at this post appearing. I thought I had to clock up 16 posts before any appeared publically for comments. Thanks for your feedback for a newbie novice who will make comments that seem stupid / ignorant to the "old hands"

"I feel honoured at this post appearing. I thought I had to clock up 16 posts before any appeared publically for comments."

Not quite. Posts have to be approved by a mod before they appear but that's mainly to stop spammers or people who just want to make nasty remarks. Any reasonable comments will be approved and show up in the topic.

As you say, in the US both rods and poles are often called poles and the UK/European style long pole is practically unknown. Most poles here are very similar to a whip.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Yes a very good first post Crocatcher. Not only don't manufacturers give this sort of information as standard they are also often (or so it seems) loathe to give it when specifically asked! Much for the same reasons that they don't like to admit that "their" product is actually made by the same true manufacturer/components supplier as their rivals!

Also these days it seems a lot of so called manufacturers don't actually make their own products and as such when asked for technical details (or even something as simple as "what model number of ring" when trying to source a replacement) cant easily answer because the just don't know!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!