Canal Fishing

crazycarphunter

If the water is clear, bright sunshine is a killer.

What I've said about evening fishing in such conditions is pretty much universal.

Over the next few weeks, my local rivers will be lined with hopefulls, most of whom will be off to get a feed and a beer by 6pm - about an hour before the fish move over the bait that they've been pumping in all day.

If the water is deep and/or murky, it dosn't make that much difference.

A lot of people make a big deal over air pressure but I find that only sudden dramatic shifts really make a difference but even that's unreliable, one week it can kill the fishing but the next it'll tuirn them on. It's frustrating this fishing game.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's frustrating this fishing game.

You got that right lol. There is so much to take in and consider before setting up the best way to catch. Its nuts. I will be honest, I used to think fishing was all the same, you put a hook on a line put some bait on and hoped to catch lol ohh how that has changed these last 8 weeks lol

Mad on fishing but don't have a clue how to fish :)

Setting the difficult canal aside for a moment, have you considered a session or two on a comercial water ?

You'll have to fish by their rules but it'll be a hell of a confidence booster to go alang and (hopefully) catch a few bigger fish.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Setting the difficult canal aside for a moment, have you considered a session or two on a comercial water ?

You'll have to fish by their rules but it'll be a hell of a confidence booster to go alang and (hopefully) catch a few bigger fish.

I camped at Wyreside Lake and Fishery over the easter bank holiday and I went on one of the lakes watching my younger brother fishing. It was this that got me into fishing lol, lots of big 20lb+ carp at the surface etc, my bro almost landed a pike on boilies lol, it got about 15 feet away jumped up and unhooked itself and swam off lol. I wont really get the chance to go to a commercial place till the august bank holiday, I own my own business so I am busy quite alot with work. My birthday is the 28th august so I have managed to talk a bunch of mates to go camping to wyreside again then we can have the weekend fishing with a beer at night lol. Until then though I am stuck to the canal as it means I can get in a couple of hours after work without having to take time off. The local river is slowly seeing the return of fish (it was polluted really bad years ago and its finally being cleaned up properly) so I am hoping to get on there soon, its got some decent barbel, chub and brown trout supposedly.

Just back from a session on the canal. I took 2 rods, one with large worms fishin on an 8lb mainline on a size 14 hook, the other was a size 18 hook on 2lb hooklength attached to a 4lb mainline. I was using small worms on the rod. The size 18 was being fished at roughly mid depth on the middle and I was getting bite after bite but I was never hooking any, eventually I decided to diss this rod and just concentrate on the size 14, I fished this right on the bottom all night, then I decided to fish it roughly 4 inches off the bottom, within minutes I landed a huge perch the same size as my size 9 trainer.

Thanks for all the help guys, I am putting it all into practice and it seems to be working great.

Cheers

Dan

Well done mate, was that on float or ledger?

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Well done mate, was that on float or ledger?

On the float mate :)

I have a photo of it but I cant find my phone lead so I cant upload it yet lol.

I was out today for a walk whilst it was nice and there was thousands of fish at the surface, perch, roach, skimmer bream, bream, huge tench, huge carp and even huge pike, all in a 500 metre (ish) stretch. It was absolutley awesome, none were biting though :(

Also had a huge bream now, I will get the photos uploaded asap :)

Cheers

Dan

On the float mate :)

I have a photo of it but I cant find my phone lead so I cant upload it yet lol.

I was out today for a walk whilst it was nice and there was thousands of fish at the surface, perch, roach, skimmer bream, bream, huge tench, huge carp and even huge pike, all in a 500 metre (ish) stretch. It was absolutley awesome, none were biting though :(

Also had a huge bream now, I will get the photos uploaded asap :)

Cheers

Dan

post-23385-1308130655_thumb.jpg

This was the perch, decent size, especially for the canal isnt it? My trainers are a size 9...

I take it that is an adult size 9 :lol::lol:

Edited by wotnobivvy

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not