Hunting ban

GORD

Peter Waller:

Many boaters are anti-fox hunting. If we unite with fox hunters we risk allienating ourselves from the very people that we might need to work very closely with.

What source do you get your info from? Did you carry out your own little survey? Or are you just asuming many boaters are against foxhunting.

If I was to make an educated guess Peter, I would say the majority of boaters would be against a ban.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GOD:

GOD:

Many boaters are anti-fox hunting. If we unite with fox hunters we risk allienating ourselves from the very people that we might need to work very closely with.

What source do you get your info from? Did you carry out your own little survey? Or are you just asuming many boaters are against foxhunting.

If I was to make an educated guess Peter, I would say the majority of boaters would be against a ban.

If I were to make an educated guess then I would guess that you are wrong god. The Labour Party, whetrher you like the fact or not, came into power with a manifesto that included a possible ban on hunting with hounds so clearly very many people supported that possibility. Numerous poles since have indicated that there is a clear majority in favour of such a ban so it is safe to assume a similar majority amongst the boating fraternity. On top of that I do mix with the boating fraternity, being a boat owner and yacht club member, and very clearly very many are opposed to killing with hounds, albeit some are clearly in favour. However I have not conducted my own little survey, but having an aunt who works for N.O.P is quite interesting!

Read Horse & Hounds today, interesting fall out re the recent Channel Four Anti Fox Hunting programme in there. Bit embarrasing for those concerned :D:D:D . Highlighted what has often been denied, even on A.N., but what many of us have known for years! Poor old CA tried to put some spin on it though, laughable!!

I'm not opposed to Angling working/uniting with some country sports organisations, but the CA trying to force itself onto angling scares me.

[ 10. July 2003, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

What antis are these exactly?

I've NEVER seen one except in a grubby stall on Argyle Street and that was a right few years ago.

I have never seen 1 person out campaigning against fishing at any events, fisheries, waterways, rivers or reservoirs in 20 years of fishing. If more than a handful of folk cared, there would a presence...somewhere at some time.

If the anti-fishing establishment are to be taken (in any way) seriously, they will have to multiply in numbers 1000's of times over to even be heard.

There are also some things that still strike me as a little odd.

If so many people care for fish, how come shops are full of dead fish for the table? Almost everyone eats fish. Noone eats Fox.

Are we resposible for the general demise of fish stocks all over the World? No. Large Corporate Food fish businesses are responsible and they only exist because of the mass demand for dead fish.

How many Waterways and Tourist development schemes have Anglers and Angling to thank for thier newfound success after years of Industrial pollution? Probably most of the waters in the UK.

How many people relate to furry animals? Most of us.

How many people relate to fish? Not many.

Ach. I think some Anglers are too busy worrying and waiting for a supposed ban that will probably never happen in my lifetime anyway. I,m 29 by the way. If your older than me, calm down, go fishing, teach the world what a wholesome pursuit you are involved in and make sure future generations keep up the demand for what is, the biggest participation sport in the country.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Andy Macfarlane:

I have never seen 1 person out campaigning against fishing at any events, fisheries, waterways, rivers or reservoirs in 20 years of fishing. If more than a handful of folk cared, there would a presence...somewhere at some time.

If the anti-fishing establishment are to be taken (in any way) seriously, they will have to multiply in numbers 1000's of times over to even be heard.

Dearest Andy, the anti fishing people are the same people who are sabbing Foxhunts and hare courseing. They are a tad busy sabbing the bigger 'fish' for them to pay any attention to angling, thats why your not seeing many sabs on the waters edge just now.

As said before once the antis have got what they want with the fox hunters THEY WILL move on to there next victims wether it be shooters anglers or who ever these type of people just arnt happy unless they are disruting some ones hobby/sport.

The point is that instead of just waiting untill its our turn to be got at we should be acting now to protect our choosen dicipline not backstabbing at each others sports stick together with one united voice then you can make yourselves heard,its the only way politicians will listen if they think they will lose thousands or millions of voters support then they listen.

Anglers if they stick together have a massive voice that should be used to the best effect possible.

That feels better :D

Trev

SMILE Today is the tommorow you were worrying about yesterday

quote:

Noone eats Fox.

is that that bloke who was a pop singer in the sixties , i must admit having tasted it unless a suitable "fox" scent eradicator can be found it is unpallatable the meat from anywhere on the body has a distingtive "fox" taste (it tastes like the smell)

note: i dont make a habit of eating countryside varmints ,but a dare is a dare and 1/2oz of baccy to a poor man is a fortune :D

i cannot see the anti`s getting the same responce they do to a hunting gathering if they invade a lake bristling with carpers or match anglers ,i think the anti`s will apreciate the feeling of being hunted down and brought to "earth" :D:D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Peter, I note you say you have been invited to join the "Broads Angling Strategy Group".

Without wishing to appear critical, who will you be representing? Will you be speaking on your own behalf or are you the spokesperson for some organisation?

If not, then might it not be a wise move to seek advice from the NAA?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

poledark:

Peter, I note you say you have been invited to join the "Broads Angling Strategy Group".

Without wishing to appear critical, who will you be representing?  Will you be speaking on your own behalf or are you the spokesperson for some organisation?

If not, then might it not be a wise move to seek advice from the NAA?

Den

Hi Den, reasonable question! Be critical by all means. In principal the B.A.S.G is not elected but it is what we have, and it works very effectively indeed with the new set-up at the Broads Authority. I have been asked to represent the tidal River Waveney since I know and fish the river and live besides it. I do actually sit on the committee of the Anglers Consultative for Norfolk & Suffolk, a route to the NAA via NAFAC, as do three other BASG committee members, so four of us are atleast representaive of something as such, with some other members being elected members of NACA. People such as Martyn Page of Marvic fame, Dave Batten of PAC, Chris Turnball of NACA, Steven Harper, Dennis Willis of NFA, John Nunn of NACA and Tom Boulton are members and most of them are nationally known names. Three of them being on the committee of the very effective NACA. The real plus of the BASG is that ALL the members are local Broads anglers. They are invited to join because of their committment to and knowledge of the Broads. None of them are outsiders, as would be the case if we directly involved the NAA. In any event I am keeping in touch with the ACA regarding protecting fish habitat. In the event of a democratic vote I suppose myself and one other, who shall remain nameless, could be seen as weak links. Still, it will be up to me to prove I'm a good choice. At the moment my previously one man fight to have fish habitat on the Broads protected as wildlife habitat in general is going great guns and the BASG has taken it on. More importantly, both the EA and the BA represenatives attending BASG meetings agree that suitable legislation already exists to protect fish habitat, but also that the legislation is not at present used. I am going up river with a Broads Authority Conservation Officer on Monday to highlight problem areas and discuss the problem in general with a view to having fish habitat protection included in the new Broads Plan and forthcoming changes in the Broads Act. So, who do I represent? Basically in an invited, rather than an elected manner, I shall be working for the good of the Broads, an area that I love with a passion, and those who fish them. As I get more established I shall post my address in local tackle shops inviting people to contact me with their problems. I have to say that the PAC committee is not 'elected' and that works extremely well. Maybe invited committees have one thing going for them, that they are not elected!!