Big Weight Kudos - Targeting Spawning Fish

watatoad

It just occurred to me (god knows why it took so long) but we are believing what we read in the press about that bream. I would not expect many of the articles in the weeklies to be accurate in the slightest! Indeed I know of one recently that was entirely fabricated even the supposed quotes were made up.

Rich

True, don't believe the comics!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only paper/comic I read is our local weekly, been ages since I bought an Angling paper. Are they as good these days as the dandy, beano, beezer, eagle were, in their time?

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

The only paper/comic I read is our local weekly, been ages since I bought an Angling paper. Are they as good these days as the dandy, beano, beezer, eagle were, in their time?

No! I'd buy 100 Beano before I bought one of the rags.

It just occurred to me (god knows why it took so long) but we are believing what we read in the press about that bream. I would not expect many of the articles in the weeklies to be accurate in the slightest! Indeed I know of one recently that was entirely fabricated even the supposed quotes were made up.

Rich

You are of course totally right Richard. As one who has suffered from their miss quotes and "poetic licence" I should know!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I think it's a bit easy to get all precious about a particular angle on an activity which revolves around hooking fish in the mouth and (albeit briefly) removing them from the water. Tench are the best example of spawn-laden PBs, with the fish-of-a-lifetime 12lb tench being just a 10lb tench + 4 weeks. I can't see how it's any worse to catch it at 12lb than at 10lb, bearing in mind it would rather we didn't catch it at all.

You won't catch it while it's actually spawning, so that's a moot point.

I don't try to catch fish at their heaviest weights to win prizes or to impress other people, I just would love to see what, for example, a 12lb tench actually looks like...

im not saying dont fish at all,most fisheries exept for pike you not sure what will take there bait,but when i see people fly fishing for pike,full of spawn the pike are knackerd especialy when the fly rods are undergunned for20 plus pike.by no means im anti pike fishing ,in a previose thread i mentoined i generally have 30mins of my dinner hour on the factory lodge were they are no more than 14id,in the summer wnen the fight is better,and dont through the low oxgen at me a large stream runs in and out,and ,.i catch the same fish many,many times .i only use 1 single hook on the lures and most cases the fish dont leave the water

im not saying dont fish at all,most fisheries exept for pike you not sure what will take there bait,but when i see people fly fishing for pike,full of spawn the pike are knackerd especialy when the fly rods are undergunned for20 plus pike.by no means im anti pike fishing ,in a previose thread i mentoined i generally have 30mins of my dinner hour on the factory lodge were they are no more than 14id,in the summer wnen the fight is better,and dont through the low oxgen at me a large stream runs in and out,and ,.i catch the same fish many,many times .i only use 1 single hook on the lures and most cases the fish dont leave the water

If you are really set against fishing for pre-spawning pike but have no qualms about catching the same pike repeatedly in the summer ('when the fight is better'), I'm sure you can see that everything is a huge grey area where some people think one thing is fine and others think it's totally unacceptable.

(PS on the bream I guess we don't even know if he was really carp fishing...!)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Rich

quite right rich,last year i was up on windermere and talking to these guys from bolton,they no who they are ,they shouted over a nice 24 on deadbait,talking after, while trailing up the boats ,we blanked ,they said that they had just the one,a couple of weeks later a picture of this guy and the pike with a lure hanging out its mouth which had never seen a lure and the weight had gone up to 27.12

Perhaps carp suffer from mulitiple captures because of the types of water they are to be found compared with pike? While not claiming much experience with carp, having caught probably less than a score of them in all my fishing years, I see hear and read about, and yes have occasionally even fished the type of commercial water that have large carp present as a business interest.

Pike,at least the ones we fish for come from very different waters, I accept thet there is a growing pike 'side line ' in some commercial trout waters, we even fish one of those a few times each year. However on most of the venues we fish I imagine that I the first person to have ever seen the (pike) fish and hope and believe that once it has flicked it's tail 'goodbye' at me that it won't ever come into contact with a human again. Across the years I have only twice encoutered the same fish on more then one occasion, last year a took a small jack (around 5lbs) and caught it again in the same bay of a small tarn 3 days later, and the year before took a good double which photographs and a distinctive damaged caudal confirmed as one which my partner caught as a much smaller fish a few years earlier.

I accept and, beleive me give constant thanks that we are fortunate in having these large interesting and relatively very lightly fished places, and that some have to pay to take a share in repeatedly catching the same fish, but don't confuse nor compare carping with pike fishing.

i;m not comparing the two.but take llandegfedd reservoir and the 46 that was caught,and a number of large 30,s,i think the record went twice that session,but not seen again,,they can say what they were caught on what lures,but it was live baits.also its been proved certain animals die of stress easier than others, why not fish ,when lure fishing i take the trebles off and attach a single,in most cases its unhooked in the water,not tangled up in the net with hooks everywere. these trout waters i have no problem with, if its around oct, nov and no later ,its fishing in late feb, march for heaverly full of spawn and the fight is nothing to a oct fish

If you are really set against fishing for pre-spawning pike but have no qualms about catching the same pike repeatedly in the summer ('when the fight is better'), I'm sure you can see that everything is a huge grey area where some people think one thing is fine and others think it's totally unacceptable.

(PS on the bream I guess we don't even know if he was really carp fishing...!)

i can only catch what takes my lure ,if its the same fish,i cant help that seeing ive worked there 14 years its going to happen,but many times ive heard people say pike dont fight ,no wonder when most fish, when the carp are shutting down,and the waters freezing