Small fixed spool reel

Dick Dastardly

:thumbs: Im on it mate! I think I would prefer the older one to the new as they still made them well then.

I prefer the C series to the 54s and 55s. Built like tanks. I will bring some to the next home fish in. THe little Shimanos are cracking reels though.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer the C series to the 54s and 55s. Built like tanks. I will bring some to the next home fish in. THe little Shimanos are cracking reels though.

If they had a longer spool and better line lay I would use my C5's for almost every thing! Brought four back in the late 80's to replace mt 300S's but just didn't rate the line lay,Got used a lot for bait fishing for pike from the bank till I eventually moved on to Shimano's then were used (and still are) for Barbel.Two of them had a hard few years on a pair of heavy feeder rods and used by my Spain customers for catching carp for bait! Still going strong.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If they had a longer spool and better line lay I would use my C5's for almost every thing! Brought four back in the late 80's to replace mt 300S's but just didn't rate the line lay,Got used a lot for bait fishing for pike from the bank till I eventually moved on to Shimano's then were used (and still are) for Barbel.Two of them had a hard few years on a pair of heavy feeder rods and used by my Spain customers for catching carp for bait! Still going strong.

I sold my 54s and 55s off and replaced them with the C4s and C5s which I later sold off and replaced with various Shimanos. Really missed them so I sold several of the Shimanos off and bought the Cardinals back. Best constructed reel I have ever come accross except for the line lay which as you say is not the best but for short to medium range for any style of fishing they take some beating when it comes to reliability. No fancy beaering arrangement, just excellent materials and built to last. The liitle C3 is an absolute gem of a reel and well worth getting hold of if one crops up.

my mate into it ,not so sure myself ,but he swears by his okuma-safina-pro-spa,its surposed to be okuma;s smallest,he can get just over 100m of 20ld whiplash,for under 30quid and a okuma;s are no mugs.must beworth a look.he;s just weighed it 228grm loaded

Edited by fishtec1312

my mate into it ,not so sure myself ,but he swears by his okuma-safina-pro-spa,its surposed to be okuma;s smallest,he can get just over 100m of 20ld whiplash,for under 30quid and a okuma;s are no mugs.must beworth a look.he;s just weighed it 228grm loaded

Thanks Fishtec that looks like a contender as well.

sorry its spider wire he as on.not that theres much diiff

I've been shopping again, getting a light jigging outfit together (which should be a better searching technique than drop-shotting, for the more featureless stretches of river), and came across this reel:

http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16916

I know Sportsman and others really rate the Spro reels, and this one looks ideal for these light lure fishing outfits. Worth a punt at £40? Free postage too.

Edit: alternatively, a 1000 size Shimano Sedona? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHIMANO-SEDONA-1000F...7#ht_1955wt_905

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

They both look the part mate let me know what you think of the Spro reel when it comes.Im still holding out a bit longer for a C3 but dont want to wait to much longer!

I decided to spend the extra £20 and get the Shimano in the end, but I can't help feeling like I should have got the Spro! We'll see.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Budgie I have a pair of 324's which are smaller than the 300s if they are any good let me know.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!