Whats happening at the ACA ?

Cranfield

Peter Waller,

Who knows what is really happening here! I feel that there could well be a hidden agenda at work. Interested in your comment about a takeover too.

Personally I hope something happens very soon for the James's sake! I get the impression that the ACA don't care much about what they are putting them through. Whatever the outcome it is bad for fishing. The ACA would do well to remember what the first 'A' stands for!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter

I feel deeply for Jane, she has been with the ACA for almost 20 years, the way this has been handled does not reflect the loyalty and hard work she has put in.

I have to disagree with you about Bob though. Why don't you think it matters to him?

It does matter to him Peter, ofcourse it does. I just have this gut feeling, nothing more, that you needn't worry about Bob.

Like you I feel for Jane. I have met her three times now and am full of admiration for her.

[ 03. November 2004, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Ironically I received a letter from the ACA this morning from Bob James (well his name on the bottom of the letter) regarding joining the ACA for next year. The letter was dated end of October and apparently my yearly subscription ended back in May. I must confess their communication has never seemed that good with regards to subscriptions...

I have today been made aware of the so called 'allegation's against Bob and Jane James.

A 'conspiracy theory' is not too far from the truth.

Having learned of the circumstances, I have written on behalf of my club members asking for an Emergency General Meeting of the Association, and from the information given to me I would urge all individual and member clubs, groups, syndicates and associations that are members of the A.C.A. also to request an E.G.M..

Failure to do so COULD result in the demise of the A.C.A.

I also learned that both Bob and Jane are in poor health.

Address any request for the E.G.M. to:

Dr Stephen Marsh - Smith

Chairman A.C.A.

6 Rainbow Street

Leominster

Herefordshire

HR6 8DQ

Copy letter:

DR STEPHEN MARSH-SMITH

CHAIRMAN A.C.A.

6 Rainbow Street

Leominster

Herefordshire

HR6 8DQ

Dear Dr Marsh - Smith,

I have been requested to write to you as Chairman of Anglers Conservation Association to request that an E.G.M of the Association be held to discuss the suspension and bad treatment of both Bob James, and Jane James, the A.C.A. Director.

DCAC receipt of membership: B 3288, dated 11th May 2004.

Yours etc

[ 10. December 2004, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: wearyone ]

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

JonHedges,

I found this on another site - I don't suppose it will help change your view though?

'ACA membership on the up

Tuesday 04th February 2003

SINCE Chris Tarrant took over as president of the Anglers’ Conservation Association, a total of 980 new members have joined up and the organisation says it has enjoyed a whirlwind few months.

Indeed, since Chris took over at the top, ACA staff have attended 26 events and given evening presentations to 14 clubs.

On the legal front, the ACA says it has been extremely active recently, issuing court proceeds on nine cases for pollution on rivers from South Wales and Cumbria to Northern Ireland, not to mention canals in Cheshire and lakes in Kent.

There are a further 25 cases on its books while more than 40 members are currently seeking legal advice on fishery and environmental law problems.

A landmark case recently involved the River Dove in the heart of the Peak District, the river which The Compleat Angler author Isaak Walton marvelled at.

Sheep dip pollution killed the invertebrates in the river, destroying the food the fish feed on. This made the pollution difficult to detect since there are not thousands of dead fish floating down the river, rather an absence of fish over a period of time.

The case, in which the ACA recovered substantial damages, is important because it is the first time it has brought a court case and won damages for pollution from sheep dip.

Bob James of the ACA said: “This represents major progress in the campaign that the ACA has been running for a number of years to highlight the damage to rivers from sheep dip. It sends out the message that farmers must dip their sheep safely and comply with all legislation otherwise they will face an action for compensation by anglers.”

John, you are asking people to request an EGM. I'm quite happy to do so if I have good reason to do so. Perhaps you could p.m. me, or post on this forum, your reasons for suggesting an E.G.M., and perhaps the details of a conspiracy against the James.

At the moment I would suggest that we all wait until the 'internal investigations' are complete. However, I agree that the ACA is being less than transparent on this one.

I note that you suggest that allegations have been made against the James. Perhaps it takes time to substantiate such alegations, especially as they might go back a few years.

[ 04. November 2004, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Just a note in my defence, my earlier post to support the work of the ACA was not my first post (suspect that a total hard drive failure and loss of the appropriate cookie may be to blame, or did I post to one of the other forums? ).

Anyway still reckon that unless someone actually comes up with some facts as to whay we should not be supporting the ACA we must do so. I cannot support the theory that we can rely on a government estabished body to protect our waterways for angling.

(With regard to the other issue raised in this topic I also feel that the number of holiday anglers on the pier is significant. A lot of them only fish one or two days a year but some join us after atime in fishing freshwater, some of their children join us, some others just walking along the pier join us. If a rod licence is imposed for sea fishing I suspect that the total number of occassional sea anglers will fall rapidly and after that so will new entrants into the other areas of our sport ).