alternative browser

chesters1

i think firefox 3.5 is being "interfered" with (strangely the icons stop working after 10 or so minutes) forcing you to upgrade to version 4 BUT my problem with typing on here reoccurs which is ok in the earlier version! (in fact its worse) i like having the option of not using tabs (call me old fashioned)

same with Chrome no way of disabling tabs

same in a new browser i found this morning Lunascape6 (fast but has tabs)

does anyone know of a cut down browser thats not got tabs ,i hate them

hmmm opera seems to work

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

IF ONLY eh?? I personally could take or leave them, sometimes I do find them actually useful? BUT like you Dave I do know or remember a time when, well WHAT are tabs? they are another name for the ears of a young boy whom, you despise so you take EVERY opportunity to GRAB his tabs and give him a good rollicking!!

However I did see something in a feedback to a question on Googles own CHROME which went something like You can't turn off the tabs altogether. but you can open a link in a new window by holding down the shift key when you click on the link. DON'T know if this will work for you?????? I find it personally more fiddly then tabs!

Just had a quick google actually and the first one up was a guy from 2009 who had been involved in trying to get Mozilla to get shut of the tabs?? THAT was with FF3.0?? So now we have 4.5??

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I had some major issues with FF4. Upgraded to FF5 yesterday and consider it a major improvement. Faster and the worst of the glitches have vanished.

With FF4 for instance, I could not edit an AN topic using the full editor or start a new topic with any sort of control over the content and have been reduced to using IE for those jobs. Quick replies were about all I could manage. FF5 has me back to normal.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

In the new FF5 – and in FF4 too, I think, although now I've upgraded I've no way of checking – you can turn off the tabs bar and choose to open new windows in actual windows instead of tabs.

So you can roll your browsing experience back to the mid-Nineties if that's what you really want!

thanks Opera seems fine but the bookmarks are clunky and no way (as far as i can fathom) of importing cookies and or passwords.

i will try FF5 as Newt suggests cheers

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I had some major issues with FF4. Upgraded to FF5 yesterday and consider it a major improvement. Faster and the worst of the glitches have vanished.

With FF4 for instance, I could not edit an AN topic using the full editor or start a new topic with any sort of control over the content and have been reduced to using IE for those jobs. Quick replies were about all I could manage. FF5 has me back to normal.

and the reply function now works ,about time! Cheers Newt

IF ONLY eh?? I personally could take or leave them, sometimes I do find them actually useful? BUT like you Dave I do know or remember a time when, well WHAT are tabs? they are another name for the ears of a young boy whom, you despise so you take EVERY opportunity to GRAB his tabs and give him a good rollicking!!

However I did see something in a feedback to a question on Googles own CHROME which went something like You can't turn off the tabs altogether. but you can open a link in a new window by holding down the shift key when you click on the link. DON'T know if this will work for you?????? I find it personally more fiddly then tabs!

Just had a quick google actually and the first one up was a guy from 2009 who had been involved in trying to get Mozilla to get shut of the tabs?? THAT was with FF3.0?? So now we have 4.5??

Trouble is with tabs you cannot look at 2 at the same time ;)

most (OK some) of the problems i have getting my posts half legible is that i am looking at 2 or 3 other pages at the same time :D

the other bit that makes me fume is being treated like an idiot when i try and shut down with multiple tabs ongoing

Edited by chesters1

"the other bit that makes me fume is being treated like an idiot when i try and shut down with multiple tabs ongoing

"

By which I take it you mean I am an idiot? I do it ALL the time??!!

But FF% is or has to be a LOT better newt!! It could in NO way be any worse! In fact this is only the second time i actually took time to read or should that be SKIM over the updates and fixes in this version!!! MY GOD!! it would have gotten to at least 5 pages had they done page breaks! And the BIGGIE for me is fixed as well! The fact that I went to open a single page in 4.0 and along came another 20 pages!! yes that was my record, opened 1 page in FF4 and 21 pages opened!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Yeah, FF5 is a lot better, got to the point with FF4 that it wouldn't let me use yola and hotmail. Would let me load the page but just kept 'stopping' whenever I clicked on a clicky. I re-named FF4; FFS!

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

i think firefox 3.5 is being "interfered" with (strangely the icons stop working after 10 or so minutes) forcing you to upgrade to version 4 BUT my problem with typing on here reoccurs which is ok in the earlier version! (in fact its worse) i like having the option of not using tabs (call me old fashioned)

same with Chrome no way of disabling tabs

same in a new browser i found this morning Lunascape6 (fast but has tabs)

does anyone know of a cut down browser thats not got tabs ,i hate them

hmmm opera seems to work

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers

Making the most of it

Chi dorme non piglia pesci