Some help with River Fishing

larsagi2010

Ok, so I am considering going to the River Dee fishing tommorow. I have been down there a few times in the past but the tide seems to either make or break my fishing! The first time I went the water was pretty much still (Like a lake) and I had loads of large Perch and the fishing was incredibly good. I fish just above a weir and the river is very wide/deep. However last time I went the weir was actually going backwards and the current was so strong even a 45g feeder was taken like 100m upstream before it even hit the bottom... Basically impossible to fish.

Tommorow I am feeder fishing and float fishing. What baits/tips would you recommend for river fishing? There are Carp, Perch, Tench, Roach and Barbel in good numbers in that stretch. Also can anyone explain this??

Tue 28 Jun

LW HW LW HW

07:57 09:55 20:17 22:22

2.4 m 2.6 m

I am going anywhere between the hours of 3.30pm-4.00pm and leaving between 6pm and 7pm. Are the tides likely to be insane at these times? lol

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

Also can anyone explain this??

Tue 28 Jun

LW HW LW HW

07:57 09:55 20:17 22:22

2.4 m 2.6 m

I am going anywhere between the hours of 3.30pm-4.00pm and leaving between 6pm and 7pm. Are the tides likely to be insane at these times? lol

Other than saying there's something wrong with the figures, not really. It won't be low water at 7.57 and then high water at 9.55.

Hilbre Island is the nearest I can find to give any info close to Chester, you should know the local names better than me and maybe choose a more appropriate location from further down the page.

Tide tables for Hilbre.

Looks like the tide there will be low at 15.12pm and then rising by 5.3m until high water at 21.03. Chester times won't be exactly the same but somewhere near these.

In my experience you'd be best to arrive two or three hours before high tide. I've found it far better to fish the tide as it comes in and once it turns go home. Obviously I've never fished your river but I'd say the priciple will most likey be the same. Bunches of maggot (say 9 or ten on a 12 or 14's animal or super spade) should be a good start for your bait as most of our fish like them. You could just use brown crumb to plug both ends of a feeder and a bunch of maggots in the middle.

LW means low water or low tide and obviously the river will be it's true level at low water in the tidal areas.

HW means the tide is at it's highest and ready to turn and start to go out again. You usually get a calm spell at high tide then when the plug is pulled it all rushes back out....good luck.

Been talking about fishing the lower sections of Broadland rivers on other threads and it's got me going again.

Although a lot different by the sounds of it I might be able to help.

Fishing the lower sections of the Broads used to present problems with the tide racing through. 2 oz's would struggle in some bits on the bigger tides.

The way we used to combat it was to fish long, fairly heavy feeder rods of 12ft and capable of chucking 2'oz feeders + bait. We used to fish either 'downtide' with the rod really quite high in the air to keep the line out of the water and reduce drag. IF you struggling to hold at the distance you want maybe slowly reduce your distance or don't get ambitious and bait up too far out in the first place. The fish could be under your feet?

OR

'Uptide'

You work out carefully what weight of feeder holds bottom but only just without bumping along. Sit with your rod parrallel to the river but facing into the tide and again high in the air on the rest.

Cast upstream into the tide say at 2 o'clock if you get what I mean. The feeder should hit the deck level'ish with you, when it does, pay out a reasonable belly of line say 5-10 yards. Don't tighten up to the feeder, leave the belly and as you put the rod in the rest the tip should bend with the pressure on the belly of line.

The hook bait should end up infront of the feeder then all being well when you get a bite the fish should edge the feeder forward as it pulls away with the tide and you should end up getting the mother of all dropback bites.

Used to work really well when Bream fishing.

A handy thing to have when fishing like that on a feeder is those little soft flat leads of 1/4 or 1/2 an oz or so. They have two lead stalks that fold into holes in the feeder so you can get just the right balance..

Braid'll help too.

Hope thats not all gobbaldy gook..

Wow! Thanks for the responses guys :D

Other than saying there's something wrong with the figures, not really. It won't be low water at 7.57 and then high water at 9.55.

I agree, it does seem quite strange how there is a 2-ish hour window between low/high water. I have found another website though which gives the exact same times? I compared them with some other rivers and they also matched (The other rivers had a more normal tidal flow to them)

The only thing I can think of is the weir has something to do with it. The Weir sits very high so the tide would probably only top it at peak times and affect the higher part of the river for a shorter time?

Last time I went the flow was going downstream, then in seconds it started going backwards! next thing I know the water was coming up the bank at a rate of 1-2 ft a min! The tides certainly seems a little beyond normal on that stretch.

I know there is a Canoeing club which operate close to the swim I have chosen, it may be worth having a word with them as I am sure they will be up to date with all of the info :)

Bunches of maggot (say 9 or ten on a 12 or 14's animal or super spade) should be a good start for your bait as most of our fish like them. You could just use brown crumb to plug both ends of a feeder and a bunch of maggots in the middle.

I am using size 12 Animal hooks, got my maggots yesterday, and my groundbait! Sure you havn't saw my blueprints :lol: I will defo try and plan my sessions when the tide is coming in :)

Hope thats not all gobbaldy gook..

Not at all mate, looks like some quality info also! I will dig out my feeders shortly and see what I have got in my shed, I am sure I have a reel of Braid also somewhere.

Here is my chosen fishing spot. Under the bridge on the other side though where its more overgrown.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll...160.78,,0,12.61

This is the weir just before it starts running backwards with thick muddy water!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=The+Gr...,14.84&z=18

Edited by larsagi2010

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish