POLE FLOAT PROBLEMS! or Blind old fool requires urgent help!

Dick Dastardly

Come on then you pole anglers help out a guy whos eyesight is fading quickly!

Whilst fishing a series of evening matchs at my local pond I have been plagued with the line wrapping around the tip/stem of my pole float.It is a 2gm wire stem/tipped model.I am attaching it via the eye,one rubber under the body and one at the base of the stem.It is set at 12'deep and is shotted with an olivette and three small shot all on the bottom three feet.I always swing the rig out under arm.The float tip apears quite long about 2".With my failling eye sight nearly all tangles around the float result in me having to re-rig.Any ideas on how to avoid/minimise this?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

How the hell do you get a catfish on a pole then Budgie?? :D

Just sent Peter a mail, if he can't help you then i dunno who can :)

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

Easy Alan! :D I got Conoflex to give me one of those fibreglass flag poles they do and rigged it up with a No50 elastic (you know one of them ones that people tie around them selves and jump off bridges with!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Try putting a small shot directly under the float. This may add some extra stability and stop the float blowing around in the wind. How much line have you between the float and the pole tip, try a little more as this will allow the pole tip to move without having as much of an immediate impact on the float. Alternatively at 12 foot feep you may be better using a larger float with a larger olivette this should keep the line tighter when you ship and unship the pole.

I'm no expert but it's worth a try.

Budgie, I suspect that the float is tending to be "top heavy" with that long wire bristle, try one with a shorter bristle.

As Gasag has said, a shot may have the same effect of stabilising it.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Use a carbon stemmed float with a plastic/nylon tip.

Also put a rubber on the tip as well as having the line through the eye.

This way the bottom of the float if heavier than the top and the line is tight to the top of the float.

(TIP, use three rubbers on the float stem, you then have a spare already rigged in case one of the other two split).

If this fails try a small sliding waggler on the pole.

The float then sits aginst the bulk as you swing out.

The float then goes up the line until hitting the stop knot.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Hi Budgie.

Sounds as if your using a really unstable rig.

Wire stemed and bristled floats are notoriously hard to balance. :(

Have a look at the Preston PB & PC series floats,these have carbon stems and plastic/nylon bristles,and should be up the job.

To avoid tangles i'd fish them with 4 float rubbers,the 1st over the bristle before threading it through the eye,the other 3 on the stem,rather like you would on a stick float,the final one being longer than the others,so that the base of the stem is completely inside the silicon,so that the end of the stem can't catch on the line.

Hope this is of some help.

Peter.

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

quote:

Oi Budgie

How bigs the pole roller for that then is it put over or put in??

Sounds like he needs a conveyor belt!!!!!

One piece haul in or fall in??????

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!