Bomb Rods

Danny K

Im looking for a new bomb rod i have had my eye on the Shakepeare Sigma Wand MK2....has anyone used this and whats u biggest fish on it ???

Also ive seen the Maver Abyss 2000 whats this like ???

Cheers.. :P

Guest sslatter

I don't know the Mark 2, but I've got the previous model, and it's been great. Had bream to 6lb on it. Check out the Masterline John Wilson Ideal XL 10' Quiver with 3 push-in tips. R.R.P. £39.99, but looks good value @ £29.99 from Summerlands. There's a new 12' "feeder" rod from Shakespeare (Quo 3x4 Multi feeder) with 4 push-in tips that also looks interesting. £33.97 from Nimpopo. Worth a look.

Bomb rod???

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Very light action quiver tip rod, short, usually 10ft. Used with a link ledger and light lines for spoting shy bites. Has a through action to avoid line breakages.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Thanks Ant.

Short - 10 feet - you guys really kill me. LOL One day I'm gonna buy me a rod that long just to see how they feel. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

Bomb rod???

Newt,

A "bomb" rod is a rod used for fishing with a bomb which is a ledger-type weight. One of the most common bombs in the UK is known as the Arlesey Bomb which was developed by our late great Dick Walker for fishing a certain lake near the village of Arlesey in Bedfordshire;

arlesey.gif

An Arlesey bomb has a swivel embedded in it.

arleseybombs.jpg

DG :cool:

[ 17. May 2003, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

Originally posted by Newt:

Short - 10 feet
- you guys really kill me. One day I'm gonna buy me a rod that long just to see how they feel.

If you think 10 ft is long, Newt, then what would you do with one of the 14 to 16 meter (not feet) carbon-fibre PMC poles that are widely used over here .. not for lure fishing though! :D e.g. see here

DG :cool:

[ 17. May 2003, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

Originally posted by Danny K:

My dad got the first sigma wand, he said it was the greatest rod he has ever used, is it mainly for small bites on light lines or decent fish on decent lines or both ??

:P

DK

It says here that the Max line B.S. is 4 lb

I quote:

The name of these new rods, Sigma Wand, is legendary with Shakespeare. That is where the similarity ends. The new Sigma Wand II rods in 2.70 and 3m lengths are perfect for link and bomb fishing in rivers and canals. Both are supplied with three tips - 2 glass/1 carbon - the latter being perfect for bite detection in windy conditions. The action is full butt to tip and both rods are well suited to take 8oz upwards hook lengths.

DG

[ 17. May 2003, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

I've got a little Drennan IM8 bomb rod....hauled my first D/F barbel from a snaggy swim on it.....almost indestructable!

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic