Solar lunar theory

Tony 1

Newt:

You are planning a weeks fishing vacation to Mexico to fish a lake known to hold good populations of peacock bass.  You have from work a choice of either of two weeks in September.  One week the overall prediction is gloomy.  The other is outstanding.  Which week would you pick?

Newt are you planning a trip to Mexico? :D:D

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not but if Money were plentiful and Job was absent, I certainly would.

I've read some trip reports of folks who went down for peacock bass and it has me salivating.

And you can bet your sweet bippy that I would check the solunar predictions as part of deciding when to go. They certainly aren't anything like 100% accurate but I'll take all the edge I can get. :D

[ 04. February 2004, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The effect of the moon is not the only factor as stated.

But unless there are compelling reasons to ignore it, ... I always select my fishing to take advantage of it. Luckily I rarely blank.

"Muddlin' along"

Remember the old ABU Tight lines catalogue, it used to have a calender at the back with different coloured fish I am sure that was solar lunar based.

Regards Tony.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

Yes Tony Iam pretty sure they were based on the Lunar cycle.When I was guiding full time I asked Chris Lyons if he would like me to take a chart to France with me and mark down every single capture/take etc on it to see what results it would show.Unfortunately he never replied.

I certainly believe the lunar cycle does have an affect,and a marked one at that,but as I said earlier I dont know why7 I also beleive that the moon chart peddlers dont either cause every time I have asked them to explain why they dont! I may be sceptical but if you dont understand somthing how can you predict? A simple diary showing the phase of the moon suffices to tell me when not to go night fishing for bream!

The self fullfilling prophecey theory is rubbish! To come to my views about the full moon being crap on a certain water for night fishing for bream I endured many nights fishing and subsequently blanking on them!Not just not going because of some theory I had dreamt up.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I've posted before that I think there's something in the Solunar tables, especially as figures show that a large percentage of US records come at certain phases of the moon, especially new and full moon. For the mathematically minded, these do on the face of it appear to be statistically significant rather than just down to sheer chance, although I haven't got the full data to do a test.

However, I believe that moon phase etc is just one of the many factors that affect fish feeding. Other factors such as the weather are also important and in many cases much more so. For instance I'm sure a flooded river has more effect than the moon.

Like Newt says, it does no harm to take the Solunar tables into account when planning a trip. However, the "wrong" moon phase certainly won't stop me going fishing. But an adverse weather forecast might!

Anyone know what the Solunar tables forecast for the Wingham Fish-In on June 12th/13th?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve - too early to give overall predictions for the days unless someone has bought a years worth. The free stuff in magazines or on the net is usually current month and maybe a little of the next. So by May probably. I can give you an idea of the best times during the day though. These are based on 92W so about 2ºwest of the beginning of a time zone. Your location will probably vary but since sunrise time is listed, you can figure out the difference easily.

Posted Image

Posted Image

[ 06. February 2004, 02:34 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt.whenever I travel to a new venue I always try to avoid the full moon period.My mate and regular traveling partner isnt so sold on the lunar cycle theory but he also agrees to do this on the grounds that if you are only going somwhere for a week or two it cant hurt to take into account any possible negative factors!

As for the Wingham fish in Steve (yes I am realy hoping to attend this year as I should be in the country!) Ive not got the moon phases in my work diary so must try and get one.Anyone know what it is for the weekend in question? Not that it will stop me going but might influence how and what I fish for.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

BUDGIE:

Ive not got the moon phases in my work diary so must try and get one.Anyone know what it is for the weekend in question? Not that it will stop me going but might influence how and what I fish for.

Last quarter on the 9th, new moon on the 17th.

P.S. If you've got the times of moonrise and moonset you can work out the phase. A full moon rises at sunset and sets at sunrise. A new moon is the reverse.

[ 06. February 2004, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net