Best rig set up for fishing in a weedy venue....

It really depends on a lot more things than just saying its weedy! What sort of weed? what range? how do you intend to fish it? ie in gaps in the weed, on the edge of the weed,in the weed/under the weed? Do you intend to cast or position your rig? Size of fish your targetting? More info you can give the better answer you will get.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

For fishing in weed the main rig being used now is the chod. I have personally only just started using it but i can see the effectiveness of it. By using a light lead and slack line it is possible to cast into the weed and sit a pop up on top of the weed. The carp will readily feed over and in weed so a scattering of boilies to keep the fish moving will usually get them finding your pop up.

For fishing in weed the main rig being used now is the chod. I have personally only just started using it but i can see the effectiveness of it. By using a light lead and slack line it is possible to cast into the weed and sit a pop up on top of the weed. The carp will readily feed over and in weed so a scattering of boilies to keep the fish moving will usually get them finding your pop up.

I've just started thinking about using a chod rig on a very weedy lake I'm fishing, if you are fishing the top bead quite high to make sure that the popup doesn't get pulled into the weed what sort of bites do you get? Is it self hooking? We can't use leadcore on the lake I fish so it would need to be a.... I think it's called a naked chod i.e. no leadcore. Or am i missing the point that the top bead should always be set just above the weed?

Any help you can give me would be great.

I am allowed leadcore but am not using it. The weed on my venue seems to be fairly low laying blanket stuff. I am using the avid chod beads that lock the hooklink on the line and pull apart on the take. Generally you can expect rip roaring runs, then again i use delkims and even bream sound like they're screaming without taking any line.

Dude,

Try this.

A simple pop-up to the top of the weeds. Mark your hooklink (hook length) with a split shot. Use a sliding float (bobber) so the presentation is verticle.

That's it.

Again, hook to mainline: splitshot to "define" hooklink: sliding bobber for presentation.

Yes, you can use your alarms. You can't tight line however.

For casting distance put a "pack bait" around your "bait". About the size of a golf ball will cast 45 - 60 yards. Pack bait is a method ball that breaks down beginning with impact on the water.

Sometimes, in fairness to the fish, I don't like to chum (groundbait of any sort). In that case I use ice cubes with a hole down the center for casting weight. Not sure you have them in the UK? They are the "standard" ice cube at most convience stores in the US.

Phone