tench flavours?

kendo

The Diamond Geezer:

quote:

Originally posted by ajp:

If it's a genuine gravel pit I'd advise you not to expect too much activity at dawn and dusk.

Why not?

A function of the age of the gravel-pit, perhaps?

DG

More of the depth of water I believe - in deeper pits I've found the Tench tend to feed through the middle of the day .

[ 11. May 2004, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Rob Ward ]

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found that some days Tench love a bit of bread flake and on others will not touch it.

I have done well after smearing honey, treacle or jam onto the bread flake.

Also done well with paste made out of scalded pellet, liquid pellet oil and scopex.

It may be a little to early for bigger baits.

Tench are now coming out of my local and club waters to 6mm expander pellets fished over 4mm pellets or red maggots.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

quote:

Originally posted by ajp:

If it's a genuine gravel pit I'd advise you not to expect too much activity at dawn and dusk.

quote:

Originally posted by The Diamond Geezer:

Why not? A function of the age of the gravel-pit, perhaps?

DG

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Ward:

More of the depth of water I believe - in deeper pits I've found the Tench tend to feed through the middle of the day .

In a way, that's what I meant .. the older the pit, the more it's silted-up or whatever. The tench pits where I fish are 30+ years old and I guess the maximum depth is about 20 - 25 ft now.

That said, I rarely fish at that depth ... I rake my swim and fish fairly close-in, and seem to get most activity towards the margins, as I said, at either end of the day, when things ar quieter too.

I guess things must vary quite widely, pit to pit, so there's no general rule.

Many thanks, anyway, Rob

DG

[ 12. May 2004, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

With regard to baits I tend to use different things depending on if the water is heavily Carp fished or not.

If not traditional baits like Lobs, Casters, Bread and Corn all score well.

If it is a Carp Lake, Boilies win - Tutti Fruity or Strawberry Bridfood work for me.

[ 13. May 2004, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Rob Ward ]

Now in the wild world tench feed of bivalves, brachiopods and lavae. They are fond of sweet tasting baits and often baits that you wouldn't often think to use. If you can afford it, i would hair rig cockles. I had my 6lber on cockles after 5 days of prebaiting.