Shads

Quest

I have found that the silvery shads with a dark stripe on the back are the best on my small streams when the water is just clearing. I thinking any motion where the fish bounces up and then sinks is likely to get the chub inetested. Strangely motion with pauses seems to get the perch interested. But sadly whereas the chub take the bait I find the larger perch just follow it about, perhaps I should try a dollop of "Fiery Jack" on the bait.

"Muddlin' along"

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newt this colour thing once again high lights the big difference between pike and US Bass.Most long time UK pike anglers will have used all the traditional bass baits mainly due to the fact that for many years that is all we could get.Lure fishing was often mistakenly thought of as a small pike method.Wonder how much of this was down to the fact we used relatively small bass lures? Seems to have been a lot more big pike caught and more anglers turning to lures (or vice verca) since bigger "muskie" size lures have been more easily available.

The red head is certainly a traditional bass plug colour which no doubt does the buisness but I also suspect most lure anglers in this country have a lure in this pattern but aint caught much on it? What do others think?

[ 22. January 2005, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Personally, I've found red head/white bodied lures to work very well. In fact my most successful winter pike lure of all is a red head Rapala floating magnum in 1oz (14cms). Loads of doubles, especially when the water is coloured. I like to work one REALLY slowly, so it swims just below the surface in shallow (ie max 5ft) water. It's a killer, particularly on rivers this time of the year.

Fenboy