Boilie Making problem

Elton

Posted on behalf of Tony. Please add all replies to this thread:

Hi, I have tried making my own boilies and I cant seem to get them to roll properly in my boilie roller, they curl up instead of rolling in to a ball and when I do them by hand they roll but once I have boiled, dried and froze them they are still really soft.

If I was to make a half kelo without buying basemix from the shop what would i need and how much? If you can help out in anyway it will be appreciated.

thanks

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

You need to experiment with making the mix wetter / or dryer. Also some mixes need to be made wet and left to set a little, before rolling. Practice is about all I can suggest, it's an art more than a science !

As for the softness, you need to experiment with boiling times. Boil just a few baits to start with for something like 2, 3 and 4 mins (depending on the mix). If you put too may in in too small a pot then the water comes off the boil and they won't cook hot enough. All the above is for 16mm bolies as size also makes a big difference to the amount of time needed.

HTH,

Rob.

A lot of problems with mixes that "won't roll" is down to the liquid content.Try adding a bit more liquid to make the mix softer. Another good dodge is to add oil to the mix.Simple vegetable oil will do. Some mixes are difficult simply because of their ingredients,basically some roll better than others. One dodge Ive used on "difficult mixes" is to freeze the ball of dough for a day or so then let it defrost and try rolling then.

Without knowing what ingredients your using though I cant offer much more advice.Increasing the number of eggs can help increase the hardness of the finished boilie as can increasing the actual boiling time.Trouble is that the longer you boil the more you can spoil/decrease the flavour and HNV content.

When you first start making your own baits either use basic ingredients and get to understand there properties, one of the carp books from the 80's such as Carp Fever or Tiger Bay have good starter bait sections with information on ingredients and a few recipes as well. Or just buy a proprietary base mix and add your own flavours/colours/attractors etc.

Home made bait can be as simple and cheap or as expensive and complicated as you wish.Don't fall into the trap of using expensive ingredients and making complex mixes up first though or believing they are the quick route to success!

Start with say a simple Trout pellet boillie made from ground up pellet and simply bound with eggs.From this move on to using other ingredients such as Casein to bind and harden,Egg Albumin to make rock hard (if needed),or Vitamealo or similar if you just want to "skin" the bait and experiment with a few flavours etc (all though not really needed in a basic TP boillie as they have a strong flavour of their own. Nice and slowly learning along the way. One last tip is to weigh out accurately and record exactly what and how much you put in. Some make up bait in 1lb (16 ozs) mixes and others prefer to do it in 10 ozs mixes (simply as its then easier to do the maths to work out the protein content etc if you are that way inclined!)

"Crap Bait" mixes made from mainly semolina are a great base mix (and very cheap) for using to learn about flavours as they are possibly the best flavour "carrier" bases going.Also despite them being "crap" (as in poor nutritive value) the carp love them!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

All,

Just from reading this thread times a zillion over the years I bet he has short changed the eggs.

To small or not enough.

Disclaimer, I don't make boilies.

Phone

All,

Just from reading this thread times a zillion over the years I bet he has short changed the eggs.

To small or not enough.

Disclaimer, I don't make boilies.

Phone

Certainly be high in my order or probability as well Phone!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!