Doppy question about groundbait, bubbles and carp

mdhome

This may seem like a simple question but bear with me on this one.

A couple of weeks ago I fished one of the small ponds at Lodge lake in Milton Keynes. It has a small head of Crucian and Common carp. I noticed that few minutes after I had thrown in balls of groundbait (comprising brown crumb, cushed hemp, a sensas goundbait, liquid brasem and liquid fishmeal) there was large number of bubbles over the feeding area. I also caught a few carp. I also did the same again last weekend (except I was evicted before I could catch anything because the lake was being used for a match) and noticed that the area around the groundbait was quite active with bubbles. Does anyone know if these bubbles would have been cause by carp or the breakup/interaction of the groundbait and the sediment? Seems like a silly question, but after being evicted and arriving at a new location, the same groundbait mixture failed to produce any bubbles. Anyone have any thoughts?

Regards MD

If you had already put water in the grounbait when you moved to the new location you may have taken the fizz out of the gruondbait.

The crushed hemp would cause bubbles.

Alot of anglers make up their groundbait at home so that all of the water has been absorbed as they dont want the groundbait to fizz as this can make fish move up in the water chasing particles rising from the bottom.

Could be that you are onto a winner with your mix and fish are responding straight away causing bubbles, if so nice one!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Yes fish can cause bubbles up in the water.

When feeding pellets, fish chew them mid water which can release small air bubbles.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Crushed hemp causes the fizzing even when its been mixed a while. Its one of the main ingedients in explosive feeder.

Im a big believer in fizzing groundbait in summer as i think it draws feeding fish into your swim but you need lots of loosefeed to stop fish chasing the particles up in the water.

I generally believe that fizzing groundbait is a good sign. If mixed well small particles should rise in the water, feeding the smaller fish in the upper layers. Most larger fish will stay lower in the water, feeding on the larger chunks of groundbait and any loosefeed that was introduced (either in the groundbait or afterwards)

You will also often find that carp and tench (and to a lesser extent bream) feeding over groundbait will really sift through the bottom sediment to get every particle of groundbait. This will often produce bubbles.

In my experience carp bubbles tend to be large and in small numbers, tench bubbles are small (like pin pricks) and very numerous, and bream are somewhere inbetween.

One of the most exiting things I've seen is a stream of pin prick bubbles (tench) moving towards your float slowly. Then then stop. Suddenly a myriad of bubbles erupts under your float, which glides away and you just know your into a tench. MAGIC.