Prawns

Colin Payne

I love prawns when fishing, i've found they catch almost anything including perch, which was a suprise to me.

The supermarket type are fine, but can be soft and difficult to keep on the hook. If sea fishing, I find bait elastic does a good job of keeping a few of them on the hook. In the sea though, the crabs love em unfortunately :(

I'd certainly far prefer bait elastic above using the hook in the picture. Hope this helps,

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jase - oddly enough, if you crush down the barbs on that double hook it is very fish friendly. Holds well so very little chance of mouth damage from a moving hook. Won't stitch up the mouth like the trebles the pike guys use can do. Due to the shape, it normally gets a good hold in either the top lip or bottom lip.

Not at all sure how it would do with the highly pressured UK fish but it will hold baits that are very difficult to rig otherwise.

I don't use them often but at times they are just the thing so always have a couple or three in the tackle box.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

quote:

Colin

What do you want to catch

The tench at a local fishery are going for prawns in a big way so I was hoping to jump on the bandwagon!

I am dyslexic of Borg, refistance is sutile.............your ass will be laminated!

Well Safeway cooked prawns it was and this afternoon I had 5 Tench 2-3 lbs, 1 skimmer, a few perch and best of all a common carp 6 1/2lbs and my new carp PB a mirror at 8lb 10oz. All on float and best of all the PB was with a 2lb 12oz hooklink so my playing skills are improving.

Colin

I am dyslexic of Borg, refistance is sutile.............your ass will be laminated!

Colin Payne:

Well Safeway cooked prawns it was and this afternoon I had 5 Tench 2-3 lbs, 1 skimmer, a few perch and best of all a common carp 6 1/2lbs and my new carp PB a mirror at 8lb 10oz. All on float and best of all the PB was with a 2lb 12oz hooklink so my playing skills are improving.

Colin

Colin

Smack on - well done!

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

john_ipswich:

looks like its time to try some cooked prawns.

Can i use ordinary barbless hooks or do i need something special and what would be the best way to hook them?

Thanks

John

Just use your normal hooks, but you will need to fit a prawn (or part of a prawn) onto the shank. Short-shanked hooks may be a bit restrictive.

As has been stated already, simply push the hook point into one end of the prawn and slide it onto the hook shank. Easy stuff... and highly effective.

[ 31. May 2003, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Broughton ]

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

Newt:

Jase - oddly enough, if you crush down the barbs on that double hook it is very fish friendly.  Holds well so very little chance of mouth damage from a moving hook.  Won't stitch up the mouth like the trebles the pike guys use can do.  Due to the shape, it normally gets a good hold in either the top lip or bottom lip.

Not at all sure how it would do with the highly pressured UK fish but it will hold baits that are very difficult to rig otherwise.

I don't use them often but at times they are just the thing so always have a couple or three in the tackle box.

Hi Newt,

Thanks for that, sorry going off thread a bit now. I should imagine they'd stay in firmer than a single hook and cause less of a hole in the mouth, if both hooked.

It's just me though associating more than one hook with similar behaviour to trebles. I've had a few small pollack here with lures and had one hook in the mouth and another in the eye, so now try to avoid using trebles, but must admit to never trying a double hook.

Either way, other advantage of fishing with supermarket prawns is that it is one of the few baits that tastes really nice when you get a bit peckish :)

I was fishing and a young kid sat next to me, and he was catching chub, carp & tench every put in all on prawn, after a quick conversation and a hanfull of prawns, my catch rate soared, all on asda frozen prawns fished over depth on the pole, just make sure u dont leave them in your tackle bag, my shed still stinks