I’ve bust me rod!!

Rogerb

Viaduct Fishery: Somerset 21st August, time about 11:00 ish.

Zig Rig, bread 6” under the surface.

Rod: Maver Retribution Multi tip (Deceased) :(

Reel: Okuma Epic ER30

Good take, plodding fight under the rod tip. After about 5 minutes the fish made a run for the staging I was on, so max pressure to try and hold it out and bang, middle section cleanly broke in two places. Fish made it to staging, snagged up and got away.

Caught sight of the fish and it was at least 15lb and could have been 20+. (Yeh, yeh I know!!)

Main line was 8lb Maxima, hook length is 8lb Daiwa Super Shinobi. Clutch on the Epic was nicely set to allow line to be taken but not this time it seems.

I have spoken to the shop where I bought the Maver and they reckon I may have a chance of a replacement if they (Maver I think he meant) are happy that the rod had not been damaged.

Can’t help but wonder if was pushing the Maver too hard with 8lb line though – even though the clutch was set. Thinking though ... can’t remember checking the clutch this time. May well have been my fault :(:(

Managed to continue with an old rod but ……

Cheers.

Roger.

No knowledge of Maver, but if as I guess it is a medium to heavy feeder rod IMHO you were well within limits. My feeder rod is the same blank as the 1 1/2lb TC carp rod, and I would have no qualms about using it with 8lb line. I think 11-12lb is max allowed by formula.

I once read that if a carbon rod is damaged/knocked hard, it may show no obvious signs of damage, but a weakness may show up like yours did at a later date. Just a thought. Good luck with a replacement

It sounds as if the rod gave way when the fish was under the rod tip, this may have caused the problem. It can happen to the best I remember Matt Hayes had this happen with a Barbel on, he still landed it though.

Seems Maver are having problems with rods and poles breaking :confused:

My Wine cellar is empty, Well, the Bottles in there are...Hic

Nugg:

It can happen to the best I remember Matt Hayes had this happen with a Barbel on ....

Thanks I feel much better now

As matter of fact I did play the fish by hand for a bit (about 10 seconds!!) but it was far too powerful and went straight under the staging, snagged and snapped the hook length.

The middle section had in fact broke in two places. Its on its way back to Maver so I’ll see what happens. To be honest I’m not making a big thing of it. If I get a free middle section then great but I’m not too hopeful. One of the breaks was so clean I didn’t realise it was a break at first but the other was clean for about 300 degrees and the other bit was more shattered so could have crush damage I suppose – don’t know when though!!

quote:

Origianlly posted by RogerB:

One of the breaks was so clean I didn’t realise it was a break at first but the other was clean for about 300 degrees and the other bit was more shattered so could have crush damage I suppose – don’t know when though!!

it could have been crush damage Roger, but I have had experience in that dept, bust two rods in the past that way, but it was instantly noticable on the cast....

Andy

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I would let you know that Maver replaced the broken middle section free of charge. Many thanks to Maver and my local tackle shop – Yeovil and District Angling Centre. :)

Cheers.

Roger.

Rogerb:

Just thought I would let you know that Maver replaced the broken middle section free of charge. Many thanks to Maver and my local tackle shop – Yeovil and District Angling Centre. :)

Cheers.

Roger.

Well done, thats a score for yourself, Maver and Yeovil D.A.C.

Result. :)