bottom bouncers for zander

Phone

All,

An effective walleye (zander) technique that I don’t see discussed on AN is the “bottom bouncer”. The first thing you will have to do is search “ http://www.cabelas.com/bottom-bouncers-walking-sinkers.shtml ” since I am not an accomplished computer guy. For that matter, I am not an accomplished walleye guy either. I walleye fish under the direction of a top rated and successful guide twice a year.

Very simple in design, a bottom-bouncer is made of stiff wire shaped like a "7" with a weight formed onto the vertical leg about halfway up. The leg is normally 12ish inches long, which keeps a casted rig 6 to 12 inches off the bottom. Shorter or longer is for discussion but rarely longer. Amount of weight often varies also. The leader for the rig or lure attaches to a swivel at the tip of the "7." This is a cast and retrieve rig, not a stationary rig. Although I don’t see why you couldn’t fish live bait stationary from a bottom bouncer if you wanted to. I would, or could, get pretty twisted but for sure you can control the depth near the bottom.

The rod and reel combination I can suggest is a 7 foot medium rod that has plenty of backbone for handling snags and up to four ounces of weight, and a fast tip for finesse hook sets and for fighting large fish. I spool with new 12 lb line before going. I’m not sure if your casting rods are built like your carp rods but slow tip rods would be a tough combination (it seems to me). Ohh, I use size, #6,#4, and #2 octopus style hooks, with #4 most often because that’s what I’m told to use.

For bait I almost always use lob worms (they're "best"). A lure or spinner is equally acceptable. In fact, a couple years ago I used a top water lure pinned to the bottom bouncer with about a 4 ft. leader to fish mid water in 20 ft. of water (make sense?). When using lobs the “hooklength has 5 or six tiny beads and a spinner blade. I looked in my stuff. Sorry, I can’t find one to tell you exactly. A most important omission but I don’t seem to have any to “break down”. I remember they are not, not, very long. Also, the spinner is for NOISE. At least that is what I am lead to believe and I do not know better.

Well, good luck lads, I’m off carp fishing. Any questions I’ll try. Remember, I am NOT a zander expert.

Phone

Nice one Phone, I think I understand the method and have used it with a guide before. Cheers :thumbs:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Was used a lot (or maybe I should say "promoted" a lot) for trout reservoir piking in this country Phone but I allways thought that there were better tactics for the same situation.

Zander wise in the UK we have only started lure fishing for them in very recent years.Prior to that it was allways bait fishing and folklore that they couldn't be caught on lures! Also only recently anglers in the UK have started going afloat for them.Most taking the lead of European anglers who have been doing so for some time.

Having zero experience of Walleye (despite reading a lot about them in In -Fisherman, which I have a life times free subscription) and so knowing very little about them I just don't know how similar in habits they are to their cousin the Zander. I ere on the side of caution though as its far to easy to assume that because they look the same they will behave the same!

I think also that the different habitat they are in and the fact that UK and US styles of fishing are so different is why we in the UK have been so slow to lean from our US friends Walleye fishing and try it for our Zander. Jeeze look how long it took us to understand lure fishing for Pike properly!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

BUDGIE,

I know very little about the ethology of Walleye Sander vitreus and even less about their "cousins" - Zander Sander lucioperca. I saw once you make mention they weren't the "exact" same fish (in the same manner I just did). Until then I thought that Zander and Walleye were indeed the same fish.

As you say, it won't matter that much if the environment is different.

I did read a bit (mostly to get a "laymans" feel for the "differences" rather than the similarities).

This is a thread I started for which I can't contribute very much. At least you "course fishermen" are familiar with Zander. I am "0" and "0" really.

Ask me about carp.

Phone

(I know enough to tell Dales to use lobs and bottom bouncers though)