Pike Gags

Apache

Tim Kelly:

quote:

Originally posted by Andy Macfarlane:

I "always" put my Pike back unharmed. If I though there was an acceptable harm level, I would have to think about the pursuits I am involved in.

I also fail to see how sticking a large hook into a fish leaves it "unharmed".

How about I gaff you through the chin and see if you can go about your business "unharmed". After all it only a little hole.

Do the PAAS have a view on what the maximum hook size should be then? I can't imagine that a large fish like a nile perch is any more harmed by being lip gaffed than a UK perch is by being hooked by a size 14!

I'm sure gaffs are a very reasonable way to land fish if they are used correctly, but the chances of it being a better method than hand landing (my prefered method) or netted are slim, and the risk of it being carried out incorrectly are very high considering the appauling way many people treat pike when they profess to be fishing proficiently for them!

Well Tim, that's just a childish and pathetic comparison and I'm sure you know it is too. I think you just want and arguement or you're playing Devils Advocate.

I think there is a vast difference between 2 Men hoisting a massive Nile Perch from the water by a meat hook via the jaw and the in water guidance to a net that a hooked 8oz British Perch suffers.

I,d like to see the Nile Perch that has been maimed and dragged from the water, without proper support make a similar comparison.

If Gaffs are alright, why not use little ones for Pike?...after all you think they are harmless.

If you can't see the difference, you are blind and most probably stupid too. I think you can though and I doubt you are really that stupid.

I,m probably more stupid for even biting to your nonsense.

What I will say though. I hope your little snipe at the end about "supposed correct handling of Pike" wasn't directed at me. I'd hate to think you'd think so little of me.

[ 12. June 2003, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Andy Macfarlane ]

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Andy

I certainly wasn't having a go at you as a pike angler, I've never met you as far as I know,and I'm sure you've got the best interests of the fish in mind. Those comments were aimed at the huge number of village idiots who we all see fishing for pike with woefully inadequate tackle and whose pike handling skills are a couple of rungs below those of my dog!

However, I DO think that a lip gaffed nile perch is no more damaged than a conventionally hooked UK perch. If you want to take it to two men hoisting it out of the water on a meat hook, I can't see the difference between that and a perch being swung to hand on a normal hook. It's just a matter of proportion.

As I said before, I expect gaffs are fairly harmless if used correctly, it's just that very few people would be able to use them correctly. Also, I expect rather like the boga grip, you'd need to play a pike to a further state of exhaustion to be able to position the gaff or boga correctly than you would need to do in order to net the fish or hand land it.

Tim

[ 13. June 2003, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Andy Macfarlane ]

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Well Tim, you said it. Gaffing a big fish is likened to swinging a Perch to hand. Thats a practice I don't carry out either. A fish out of water automatically weighs more than 3 times what it did in the water. That is why a landing net is used. Failing that, unhook the fish while it is actually still in the water.

If swinging is alright, how come fisheries don't allow for it? Maybe it's because a fish shouldn't be supported by its mouth especially when it has a hook through it.

I still say gaffs are outdated...as is hand swinging.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Just to add my feelings, I do not condone the use of gaffs or Gags for pike, or come to that any fresh water speices that is being returned. A good long pair of forceps and the corect handling and any pike can be unhooked cleanly, but then this can open up a further debate re letting them run - deep hooking - which is in my view just as bad as using a gag. I have lost very few fish when hitting runs quickly, and even those could be down to presentation or the like.

As to the comments re hand landing, there is nothing wrong with taking the jaw in a gloved hand, but you should then suport the fish with the other hand when lifted, especially good fish. Almost all the Cats I have had have been hand landed, personally i feel there is less chance of fin damage and crushing with big fish.

There I've said my tupence worth

i have just watched Hooked On Fishing with paul young on discovery, he was with some irish bloke fly fishing for pike when paul hooked a small pike about 3 lb.

They boated the fish and proceded to shove a pike gag in the fish's mouth and remove the fly.

The advice he gave was "i see these two pieces of equipment (gag & forceps)essential for pike fishing.

What sort of example is that :mad: :mad:

Fly like a mouse

Run like a cushion

Be the small bookcase!!

The use of gaffs is now illegal in all EA Regions of England and have been for some years. Not sure what the position is in Scotland as they operate to different rules.

Re gags, they are certainly to be highly discouraged but are not actually illegal.