madmax1975

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Avon Rod

Feeder rod

Can some one explain the difference please?

I guess there's very little difference, or no one knows :lol:

There's more to fishing than catching fish

I guess there's very little difference, or no one knows :lol:

An Avon rod doesn't have a quiver tip like a feeder rod.

There may be some confusion as there are a lot of Avon rods sold now with two tops sections, an Avon top and a quiver tip/feeder top. This means they are both a feeder/quiver tip rod and an Avon rod depending on which top you are using.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

The term Avon rod used to refer to a rod with a through action e.g. a progressive action (gradually getting more powerful as more of the rod comes into play) sometimes termed as having a full parabolic progressive action and without a quiver tip although over the past 50 years some Avon action rods have been made with fittings to take both screw in tip e.g. quiver or swing tip as well as push in quiver tips.

Action - with regards to fishing rods, refers to the responsiveness to bending force

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

madmax,

Sounds like it may be a "marketing" statement. Avon may have been a successful rod as some point in the UK. Further, it may or may not have meant something. Maybe the term Avon should now say "avon style" playing on someones previous successful marketing. For sure "feeder rod" is not a specific technical term.

What made me even comment is Watatoad's comment about "full parabolic progressive action". A mathmatical impossibility. It does sound like it would sell well thought. Both a "parabola" and a "progressive action" in the same device. Who could resist?

Flyfishermen often talk about MODIFIED parabolic action. That opens a can of worms that requires a full bowl of pipe tobacco and a pint of your favorite beverage.

In the US we buy very very few parabolic rods. Just a matter of taste I guess.

Phone

madmax,

Sounds like it may be a "marketing" statement. Avon may have been a successful rod as some point in the UK. Further, it may or may not have meant something. Maybe the term Avon should now say "avon style" playing on someones previous successful marketing. For sure "feeder rod" is not a specific technical term.

What made me even comment is Watatoad's comment about "full parabolic progressive action". A mathmatical impossibility. It does sound like it would sell well thought. Both a "parabola" and a "progressive action" in the same device. Who could resist?

Flyfishermen often talk about MODIFIED parabolic action. That opens a can of worms that requires a full bowl of pipe tobacco and a pint of your favorite beverage.

In the US we buy very very few parabolic rods. Just a matter of taste I guess.

Phone

Yes a statement or reference that the average angler will see when they look at rod with remarkable frequency, therefore a common term in angling which one will come across and can quickly mentally recognise and understand. Something which you will no doubt come across as your knowledge and understanding of common terms used in European angling increases.

However rather a better action on your part would have been to assist or answer the angler who originally posted this thread. A far more useful action, until your knowledge of European terms is expanded.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Wata,

Ha ha, I like your style. You'll notice I did answer his question. And, I did it without the pompous muumbo-jumbo of a "full parabolic progressive action". Your mis-spent overbearing pride does not refute the impossibility of your choice of words. Angling is full of meaningless "marketing". The English are the biggest suckers of all for "catchiness".

You'll find the answer to the question in my last 5 words. (That is assuming he's talking about catching fish).

Perhaps we would have to step outside angling to agree on equally savvy English terms of superioUr importance such as "Military Intelligence" or "Civil Engineer". We could add, "same difference", "pretty ugly" or maybe "Avon feeder".

Phone

Wata,

Ha ha, I like your style. You'll notice I did answer his question. And, I did it without the pompous muumbo-jumbo of a "full parabolic progressive action". Your mis-spent overbearing pride does not refute the impossibility of your choice of words. Angling is full of meaningless "marketing". The English are the biggest suckers of all for "catchiness".

You'll find the answer to the question in my last 5 words. (That is assuming he's talking about catching fish).

Perhaps we would have to step outside angling to agree on equally savvy English terms of superioUr importance such as "Military Intelligence" or "Civil Engineer". We could add, "same difference", "pretty ugly" or maybe "Avon feeder".

Phone

Yes its all a little confusing isn't it and I'm not sure i can help that much (in fact i might just confuse things more), but as i have and use a good number of Avon rods and feeder rods, i will add a little more.

"Feeder rods" (like most other rods) come in different actions (not just power ratings) and i have one or two that i would describe as having a through action. Yet they have "feeder rod" not "avon rod" written on them.

Much as i agree the "Avon rods" in my collection do tend to be of a through action, i think if you go shopping for a new Avon rod you might find new Avon rods don't all fit that description.

IMO the best advice to someone buying a rod is don't just read the name on the rod or even the manufacturers description before buying. Go and have a look and a play with a few first and see for yourself what you are buying.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

lutra,

Well, said, at least I understand your comments are genuine.

Was the word "Avon" the registered trademark of some particular manufacturer at one time or another that has now escaped to the public domain? I really really don't know. Does Avon depict a rod or perhaps the style of rod used in a region of the country. (You know, like this is the style used by early anglers on the River Avon or something equally catchy).

Phone

"full parabolic progressive action"

Parabolic = in the shape of a parabola

Parabola = a regular (both "legs are equal) u-shaped curve

Progressive = Happening or developing gradually or in stages; proceeding step by step

Sorry but parabolic and progressive are mutually exclusive.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President