Deadbaiting for Chub

watatoad

I have never targeted Chub with deadbait.

However:

Althought they were not my target species I did once have 3 Chub, of which 1 was landed, who decided that the Minnows I caught were quite appealing. The Chub were not overly large with the one landed weighing in at 1 1/2lb in wieght.

Other fish like Roach were totally ignored.

I do a fair bit of chub fishing with dead minnows, the bigger the better, and I find that a good fresh big dead minnow will sort out the better chub. They have to be dead though as a live one will hide under any rock or cover and be pretty much useless as a bait but fresh dead ones really do produce the goods

Fished in snags or deep pools or holes a big chub will confidently take a dead offering when it ignores everything else in front of it

A size 6 Drennen specimen fished on mono with a swivel and free running lead id the method of choice and when you get a bite its not the tentative chub tap but a full on wrench down of the tip

I do a fair bit of chub fishing with dead minnows, the bigger the better, and I find that a good fresh big dead minnow will sort out the better chub. They have to be dead though as a live one will hide under any rock or cover and be pretty much useless as a bait but fresh dead ones really do produce the goods

Fished in snags or deep pools or holes a big chub will confidently take a dead offering when it ignores everything else in front of it

A size 6 Drennen specimen fished on mono with a swivel and free running lead id the method of choice and when you get a bite its not the tentative chub tap but a full on wrench down of the tip

I use minnows a lot....live ones though.....I usually trot them past a likely hole under a float when they have no chance to hide!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!