weed clearing

ratchet

It is strange that so few fisheries see grass carp as effective weed controllers. I meet with various scientific types on the Broads Authority. When it comes to weed regeneration fish are seen as less than helpful, with bream being seen as bad boys and carp as absulute villains. The Broads Authority has taken to denuding fisheries of all but pike so as to allow weed to re-establish itself. Funny old world!

It never ceases to amaze me, the wealth of information available on this forum has to be seen to be believed!

One of the clubs I am involved with has the same weed problem every year on one of its small ponds. Working parties regularly clear up the pond but it returns with a vengeance. The club is loathe to add chemicals as the outflow runs directly into the river.

For the better part of the fishing season this pond is prctically unfishable due to being choked with floating weed.

Could any of our experts give advice on a 'natural' way of erradicating the problem please ?

quote:

Could any of our experts give advice on a 'natural' way of erradicating the problem please
take the water out

remember if its an unnatural weed then probably only an unnatural act will get rid of it ,what happend to the old practice of clearing your own swim :(

the weed problems will only effect carp and pike anglers ,chaps fishing for ordinary fish have no problems other than dragging the weed up the bank :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

chester. i could take the water out by opening the drain but id have a lot of fish flapping about in mud and no way of putting water back in (i dont know the chants or the steps of a red indian rain dance) :D the old practice of clearing your own swim died out a long time ago when anglers decided to let others do the work and poach the swims when the work was done over 200 members in our club.when it comes to a work party 6 turn up probably the same in every club.it not only effects the carp anglers who get snapped off when the fish dive through the weed.but there is so much natural food in the weed the "ordinary fish" dont need to come out to look for mr maggot dangling off my hook.

if no-one cleared the swims then anglers would have to were waiting for our weed to expand so we can clear our own swims its just getting a foothold after a fishery upstream killed theirs and ours followed eeeerrr allegedly,its not the same pond as my first post ,when it was in its heyday you couldnt see the water for weed

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson