Barbel on the Teme

mike lavall

Hi all

I am lucky enough to be going fishing on the Teme tomorrow for barbel. This is my first time for barbel. Any tips regarding bait and tackle etc would be much appreciated. I understand feeder fishing is the best method? But what bait would be best in the feeder?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Mike

mikey

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mike, a friend of mine has been fishing the Teme the last couple of days, he and many others that have been fishing it are struggling to catch. He managed to get a few out.

The Kennet seems to be the same.

As for bait, I use trout pelletts, superglued to a hair rig. Works well and the barbel are used to this method on the Teme.

Other than that any bait, maggot, worm, boilies sweetcorn are all worth a try.

Make sure you have a minimum 10lb line on for some reason the Teme barbel are known for their fighting power!!

Good luck. I am hoping for my first of the season tomorrow but I am fishing a stretch not 'renowned' for barbel.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Thanks Lyn

We are fishing on a private stretch up by Tenbury Wells, is feeder fishing a good method? I am thinkink of hemp/caster in the feeder, with maybe meat on the hook. Will try the trout pellet on my 2nd rod.

Mike

mikey

Hi Chuby

Yes I noticed the water was low on the Teme in the week. Hoping the rain on Thursday will have helped a bit. Saw some nice Chubb just down fron the bridge at little hereford, might luck into some of them if the barbel are not having it.

Mike

mikey

Hi mike,

I have been fishing the teme for years and the best advice I can give you at this time of the year is to find the fish first. They are very tightly shoaled up after spawning. As for baits I have had a few fish on 11mm halibut pellet on a short hair wrapped in pellet paste. You could try what Matt Hayes called the 'timebomb rig' Just get some fishmeal groundbait and some different size mini pellets. For addad attraction mix the groundbait with halibut oil and fish it with an open ended feeder. Plug the pellets in between the groundbait. The theory is that the groundbait drifts downstream pulling the fish up and the pellets will be there waiting for them when they gat there.This has worked very well on the severn and the teme although I have yet to try it as I prefer to stalk at this time of the year.

hope this helps

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Guest crazyhazy

Hello mate

Fished the Teme myself at various points on the BAA lengths and the Barbel society stretch! Pellets do work of course but try bouncing a piece of meat (they still eat this you know) down the river on the opposite bank especially in front of overhanging trees! I normally fire some hemp out and leave it for a short while. Then cast just upstream and bounce the meat through!! It works for me when its low and clear and I dont measure the bait 8mm 9 10 11 12 and so on it doesnt matter at all! What happened to traditional fishing?