RIVER LODDON AND BROKEN ROD!

Apache

I am going down to the River Loddon at about 10 this morning, so any tips on baits and rigs to use would be useful.

I have only a quivertip and I am after chub, bream and barbel mainly.

If anyone has any tips I would be very grateful.

Many Thanx. :confused: :confused:

[ 18. June 2003, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Apache ]

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apache:

I am going down to the River Loddon at about 10 this morning, so any tips on baits and rigs to use would be useful.

I have only a quivertip and I am after chub, bream and barbel mainly.

If anyone has any tips I would be very grateful.

Many Thanx. :confused: :confused:

Rolling meat paste balls (barbel) or rolling cheese balls (chub) .... touch-ledger or free-line if you dare

Good luck

DG

Well I went fishing in the end and caught a 4lb chub on Luncheon Meat and a 4lb 8oz chub on cheddar cheese. And something broke my rod........

I got a phone call on my mobile about 5 minutes after my last chub, while I was baiting it up again. After I hung up, I cast out and put the rod in the rest where I noticed the quiver was "see-sawing" back and forth over about 2 inches.

I thought "Oh, its got a bit of weed on it", so I picked up the rod and flicked the tip to try and dislodge the weed. Whatever was on the other end took umbrage and the rod just went wham, over into a u-shape!

It turned with such a speed and power that the clutch just had no chance to kick in, the rod just hooped over and snapped 3/4 of the way up!! I was using a Shakespeare: Omset Feeder with 10lb line and a 8lb hook length.

The line didn't snap, but when the rod did, the hook just fell out.

My guess is either a very, very big barbel or a river carp. :(:(:(:)

[ 18. June 2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Apache ]

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

quote:

Originally posted by Apache:

Well I went fishing in the end and caught a 4lb chub on Luncheon Meat and a 4lb 8oz chub on cheddar cheese. And something broke my rod........

I got a phone call on my mobile about 5 minutes after my last chub, while I was baiting it up again. After I hung up, I cast out and put the rod in the rest where I noticed the quiver was "see-sawing" back and forth over about 2 inches.

I thought
"Oh, its got a bit of weed on it"
, so I picked up the rod and flicked the tip to try and dislodge the weed. Whatever was on the other end took umbrage and the rod just went wham, over into a u-shape!

It turned with such a speed and power that the clutch just had no chance to kick in, the rod just hooped over and snapped 3/4 of the way up!! I was using a
Shakespeare: Omset Feeder
with 10lb line and a 8lb hook length.

The line didn't snap, but when the rod did, the hook just fell out.

My guess is either a very, very big barbel or a river carp.
:(:(:(:)

A very big barbel almost certainly! I did tell you! Should have warned you just how big they get there. I've had several doubles.

Might have been a carp ..possibly ... might even have been a pike ... just PM me with the Map Reference!!!

It's never nice to lose anything to a fish. Stronger gear next time, eh? And clutch set a tad softer? :confused:

DG

[ 18. June 2003, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

DG, the clutch was set light, it just never had a chnace. The turn of speed and the sheer power just put the rod under too much pressure before the clutch could even move. Itb was on for about 2 secs if that!

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

quote:

DG, the clutch was set light, it just never had a chance. The turn of speed and the sheer power just put the rod under too much pressure before the clutch could even move. It was on for about 2 secs if that!

Crikey! Some fish! ... now where exactly did you say you were fishing.... :confused:

DG

quote:

DG, the clutch was set light, it just never had a chance. The turn of speed and the sheer power just put the rod under too much pressure before the clutch could even move. Itb was on for about 2 secs if that!

Apache,

I can't see HOW your rod could have possibly broken if you had set the drag by applying pressure to the line at Point A

dragset2.jpg

but if you set the drag by pulling on your line at Point B, i.e. between the reel and the butt ring ..... then..... :rolleyes:

The only other thing I can think of that might have contributed, is that the blank had been inadvertently knocked or damaged at some point in the past, and that the shock load found this weakness first. Got to say, I've been fishing for a long, long time (as long as Newt)and I haven't broken a rod on a fish ... yet.... & I include off-shore and big-game fishing, fly-fishing, carping, barbeling, dead-baiting/sink & draw, and salt & freshwater lure fishing. A tad smugly, I'd like to think that's skill as much as luck ... stemming from some very good teachers (Chevin ... guess who? :) )

DG

[ 19. June 2003, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

I already had the rod under some pressure, because i flicked the tip quite hard to try and dislodge what I thought was weed, and then it.

I have never felt anything like it, and I've had near 20lb carp on 10lb line. I think that the reel might have jammed or locked for some reason, because I landed two 4lb chub minutes before and they took line no problem.

Anyway, I will take the reel to pieces today and try and find the cause.

Thanx for the help.

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts