Spindle's First Pike

Chris Plumb

Glenn was my guest on the Kennet on Saturday and we spent an enjoyable morning trotting a fast shallow stretch. (And a chance to show off our pin's :rolleyes: ) Glenn was on a promise of a Barbel which alas I failed to put him on to. But as an afterthought I'd instucted him to bring along a lure rod and here's the result!

http://host65.ipowerweb.com/~anglingp/deta...254&mode=search

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

And here is as good a place as anyway to publish a BIG thankyou to Chris.

On the day I was totally outfished by Chris, who really is a master of float-control with a pin. He is also one of the few people who goes pike fishing with a size 16 hook and maggots! And if Matt Hayes thinks catching 30 odd species of fish in about the same amount of days is a challenge, well I think Chris was not far off by about 10am that morning!!!

Chris also worked SO hard to help me catch my first Barbel, though sadly on the day it wasn't to be, but he did practically lead me to my first pike, as you can see from the pic. That in itself was a blast, and completely made up for me getting up at 1.30am in the morning!!! Still, I can't complain - I had at least 3 hours sleep that night - apparently Chris had about that much since Wednesday!!!

Did catch Sunburn though!!! And I did get the opportunity to try out my new 15' Harrison float rod, which was just the job on the day. It was custom built for me by "Bob the Rod" of Fosters Of Birmingham. He's done a cracking job.

A great day! Thanks Chris!

Yes - MY Pike was errr, interesting. Thought I'd connected with a really big Barbel at first but when I saw it was a pike just gave it some welly not really expecting (or at 9lb+ deserving!!!) to get it in. The 16 was neatly hooked in the scissors and when I slipped it back it coughed up a whole ball of maggots - much like chub do!! The thing had obviously been sat at the tale of my swim scoffing all that went past it's snout. And this was the last fish in a sequence which went (in this order!) Roach, Dace, Chub,Grayling, Barbel,Pike in pretty much consecutive casts :D I did spend the end of the trip species hunting and failed to catch a Gudgeon :rolleyes: or a Perch which Glenn showed me how to do with a nice Perch of around a pound.

A terrific day on my favourite stretch of river.....

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog