Attracting pike.

tony jolley

I was thinking of giving the lures a go over the weekend, Posts by Peter and Andy have stired me into action.

I was wondering (as I am new to the lure game).

Which type (not really names but type of lure eg surface, popper. sub surface, or spinner,) would you guys recommend.

The waters I intend to fish are no more then 6 feet deep. So deep divers arn't really an option unless I use a float with the lure (as shown in Bettells book Art of lure fishing).or a small lead with a floating lure retrieved slowly,

I had been thinking I might be better to use a dead bait and sink and draw with it.

What do you experts think?.

Tony B.T Jolley

I was out on a Broad yesterday, coincidently about 6 feet deep. I had a bonza of a day using a Ryobi Mugger lure, a posh Shakespeare Big S. I fished open water, drifting with the wind. Most of the pike that I had were caught well off the bottom, they were actively feeding. Another day and they might be laying dormant on the bottom, and then a lure tripped along the bottom can do well.

After re-reading your question I would agree about the use of sink and draw, but I wouldn't waste a fish, unless you use eel section :mad: . Try a soft bodied shad rigged as you might a dead roach.

Wouldn't worry about controller floats. Charlie's book is good, but some of the information is surplus in this day and age.

A few brass spoons are also worth using.

[ 31. December 2004, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

I've struggled with the lures recently with only a single Zander to show for the last four or five trips out. These have all been reasonably short (two hour) mobile sessions and have varied from early on frosty mornings to sunny afternoon. I just can't seem to find the darn fish. Also, today, it was really difficult trying to find an area, the bottom of which, wasn't covered in a thick sticky blanket weed. It was almost impossible to lure fish on the bottom. Very frustrating.

But still enjoyable, nonetheless.

I think next time out I might have to pop a deadbait out as well.

Derek

Peter Waller:

After re-reading your question I would agree about the use of sink and draw, but I wouldn't waste a fish, unless you use eel section   :mad:   . Try a soft bodied shad rigged as you might a dead roach.

instead of eel section how but the next best thing....lamprey!

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Ratty46:

Ratty46:

After re-reading your question I would agree about the use of sink and draw, but I wouldn't waste a fish, unless you use eel section     :mad:     . Try a soft bodied shad rigged as you might a dead roach.

instead of eel section how but the next best thing....lamprey!after every cast give it a godd squeez let the blood run out

[ 31. December 2004, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

tony - the large lip deep diving plugs can be excellent on shallow waters at times. The lip digging into the bottom and stirring up stuff can really get the fish's attention. Not always, as Peter noted, but I have many days when the lure must be bouncing off bottom stuff to have a chance at a fish.

Oddly enough, the things don't tend to hang on the bottom. The lip makes contact and sorta bounces the lure up for a moment. Often get a strike at just that time too.

In colder water, I like the really deep diving ones since you can keep them bouncing at fairly slow retrieve speeds.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I would have to agree with Newt on this one Tony,I seem to remember Peter has had sucsess bouncing deep divers along the bottom too.I would also give the thumbs up for a very slowly retrieved wobbled dead.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanks Guys,

Got out today but failed.

The deep diving idea is a good one but the waters in my area have still got a fair lot of weed on the bottom and are very silty.

But I know I have learned something to keep in mind for when I fish the right water.

I have a smallish river near me, full of snags and the like (shopping trolleys and rubbish) not a river such as you would get on the Avon.

Any lures work well in these type of conditions. I have used chub creek pikie on it with the vail at a shallow angle not had any takes but never snagged as well. The river is really neglected hence the rubbish in it but I am just waiting for someone to say that they have had somthing big from it, (I hope it will be me). It think as the water level in lower in the Spring/summer a surface lure might just produce from it.

Tony B.T Jolley