Greys Prodigy Carp Rod 12ft / 2.5 lb TC

The Diamond Geezer

Going to stick a new carp rod on Santa's list hopefully, and Greys Prodigy Carp Rod 12ft / 2.5 lb TC is one I've got my eye on.

Anybody got one? Know anything about it? Know what I've got to expect to pay for it? Know anything better for the money?

Many thanks in advance for any info

Cheers

DG

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DG

The're on my wish list also, i've had a close look at them and they look fantastic. Coming from Grey's I imagine they fish aswell as they look to.

One thing that did put me off (slightly) was the blank. The butt section is fitted out beautifully with the carbon weave visable, but the top section is different as you can't see the weave. It almost looks like two seperate rods.

Overall, the blank is ultra slim and I noticed that there is a choice of the usual split grips or a full handle. The cheapest i've seen them is £90 each, i'll look it up if you wish.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

quote:

Originally posted by aanthony:

DG

The're on my wish list also, i've had a close look at them and they look fantastic. Coming from Grey's I imagine they fish aswell as they look to.

One thing that did put me off (slightly) was the blank. The butt section is fitted out beautifully with the carbon weave visable, but the top section is different as you can't see the weave. It almost looks like two seperate rods.

Overall, the blank is ultra slim and I noticed that there is a choice of the usual split grips or a full handle. The cheapest i've seen them is £90 each, i'll look it up if you wish.

Ant

Thanks very much indeed for all that info. Sounds like I can't go far wrong with the Greys.

Another on my list is the Whisper from Matt Hayes' TFG .. though from what I hear, it and the Prodigy are pretty evenly matched :)

Cheers thumbupsmt.gif

DG

[ 26. September 2003, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Cant comment on the greys rods as ive never seen them but i own 3 different harrison rods and they are brilliant they have a website here

http://www.harrisonrods.co.uk/ but you cant buy direct from them.

They make non standard rods to order or standard blanks and fit your preference of eyes and reel seats, or you can just buy the standard rod available in the shops.

Regards Paul Mc

quote:

Originally posted by paul mc:

Cant comment on the greys rods as ive never seen them but i own 3 different harrison rods and they are brilliant they have a website here

but you cant buy direct from them.

They make non standard rods to order or standard blanks and fit your preference of eyes and reel seats, or you can just buy the standard rod available in the shops.

Paul

Many thanks for that; I'll check-out that link. I did know of Harrison Rods, as I think they're one of the few British companies that make their own blanks.

What's the specn of your rods and how much did you shell-out for them?

Cheers

DG

[ 27. September 2003, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Hi DG

I have an interceptor (1 lb 10ozTC)which i use for heavy float fishing or big river work which is fine if you dont want to cast too far.

I also have two ballista carp rods one at 2.5lb tc and one at 3lb tc which i find are verry good, both the ballista's are light and strong and you get a good feed back thru the rod when playing fish.

The inteceptor was £130 but i did ask for a specific threaded end eye

The 2.5lb ballista was also £130 and the 3lb one was £140 but you may get them cheaper if you shop around as there is a ballista slim out now.

There is two ballista's (3lb Tc)in a second hand shop by ours for £170 the pair.

Harrison also make blanks for other companies who just throw their stickers on them.

Regards Paul Mc

quote:

Originally posted by richiew:

I got the Greys Prodigy in the 2.75lb version. Very nice rods, not too stiff and not too soft. You get a lifetime guarantee too, excellent value for money.

Thanks for that info, Richie

Which other rods did you consider / compare at the time you bought the Prodigy?

DG

quote:

Originally posted by paul mc:

Hi DG

I have an interceptor (1 lb 10ozTC)which i use for heavy float fishing or big river work which is fine if you dont want to cast too far.

I also have two ballista carp rods one at 2.5lb tc and one at 3lb tc which i find are verry good, both the ballista's are light and strong and you get a good feed back thru the rod when playing fish.

The inteceptor was £130 but i did ask for a specific threaded end eye

The 2.5lb ballista was also £130 and the 3lb one was £140 but you may get them cheaper if you shop around as there is a ballista slim out now.

There is two ballista's (3lb Tc)in a second hand shop by ours for £170 the pair.

Harrison also make blanks for other companies who just throw their stickers on them.

Hi Paul, and Thanks

I'm wondering if I shouldn't be thinking about spending a tad more than £90 - £100 after what you've said.

Food for thought!

Thanks again for the info

DG