Pike Traces.

Steve Randles

I have a No of Questions concerning these, as follows:

1. Are there any significant differences between twizzled and crimped traces (when in use)?

2. What are your thoughts on the second Treble being fixed/sliding?

3. Which brands do you use, for the component parts of your traces?

4. How do you store your traces, ready for use?

5. At what point is one of your traces disposed of, and do you recycle the hooks/swivels?

6. What are you thoughts/expieriences with the more modern wire replacements?

7. The perfect trace, is there one?

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Steve, i'll give you my answers:

1, Personal preference, when I started making my own I could never get wire that twisted good enough for me to have confidence in it, so I crimped, crimps need to be put on using the correct gear or their useless, find a wire and method your happy with and use that, Pike safety comes first.

2, I always fix it, Ive found sliding trebles can kink the wire.

3, Berkley Swivels, Drennan wire, both work well for me and are available in my local shop, should I need a suppy in a hurry.

4, Coiled up in a rig wallet (like sea anglers use).

5, When the wire is showing any sign of damage, or if its had a hard pull (freeing it from a snag for example), I recycle the hooks and re-sharpen them, swivels are replaced if showing any wear or after a snag situation.

6, Tried titanium wire for lure fishing, but only on bought traces.

7, Any trace that has landed a pike is a perfect one, even if it has to be dissposed off after.

Scott.

Steve

Re: which wire, there are a couple of articles here and here and after reading the latter, I swopped to AFW and have never been happier.

I have also tried the Ni-Ti Malin Boa wires (single strand) but have gone back to multi-strand

DG

[ 02. October 2003, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

1: The normal train of thought is that kinks etc. damage the trace. I see no reason to go about his deliberately when wrapping a wire round a hook. Crimping may weaken the wire slightly but the damage is limited to one small area. I crimp.

2: The second treble should be fixed. Imagine one treble hooking the top/left, the other hooking the bottom right. The trace now pulls at an acute angle to the sliding treble. You have now just stitched the mouth shut and you may succeed in tearing the mouth as the 2 hooks draw together. Not for me.

3: Drennan all the way.

4: In a rig bin. One shop bought and one home-made. A few grains of dry rice in the containers keeps them moisture free.

5: I replace the trace if the wire kinks at all or curls beyond use (ie: wont lie straight). I recycle hooks and swivels regularly and I replace them when I lose confidence in thier strength (snags, fish, general wear and tear etc.).

6: Some wires (or whatever it is) I feel are far too thin and potentially pose a threat to the fish. A thickish wire won't cut the head off a pike and it doesn't put them off. Other than that..I dunno.

7: I don't think there is such a thing. Every trace has its upsides and downsides. You can only minmise the risk/damage and most traces suit the venue/bait.

P.A.A.S.gif

[ 02. October 2003, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Andy Macfarlane ]

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Hi Steve,still no change here!

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.a...SP=&v=1&UAN=894

1. See above.

2. As allready mentioned sliding hooks can damage the wire.

3. See link.

4. Rig Bins.

5. When wire is kinked or frayed.I reuse the hooks but not the swivels.

6. Not really looked at the modern wires.But I should imagine that I will move onto QED when my supply runs out.

7. As said allready,if it lands a Pike safely then thats all I ask.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

quote:

Originally posted by BUDGIE:

6. Not really looked at the modern wires.But I should imagine that I will move onto QED when my supply runs out.

Budgie,

Do youself a big favour and give old QED a miss, if only on price, nevermind the diameter :rolleyes:

Look at some modern wires!

DG

[ 02. October 2003, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

DG my mate Rob has used QED for a long time now.I initially was very sceptical about the diameter.Despite this it has never stoped him from catching including his 40! The big advantage he had with this wire as opposed to my Marlin Steel was its durability.My traces have to be changed regularly when you are into fish due to kinking etc Rob merely pulled his QED straight.Its obviously not indestructable but does wear well.I have never had any problems with Marlin Steel nor have any other experienced Pikers I know but getting hold of it now is nigh on impossible.I am down to my last few hundred feet.Only about 2 seasons worth of bait fishing traces left if I am lucky.Looking at new or should I say a replacement brand all the time but not seen anything that has really grabbed my attention yet. Yes it is a bit expensive isnt it.

quote:

Originally posted by BUDGIE:

DG my mate Rob has used QED for a long time now.I initially was very sceptical about the diameter.Despite this it has never stoped him from catching including his 40! The big advantage he had with this wire as opposed to my Marlin Steel was its durability.My traces have to be changed regularly when you are into fish due to kinking etc Rob merely pulled his QED straight.Its obviously not indestructable but does wear well.I have never had any problems with Marlin Steel nor have any other experienced Pikers I know but getting hold of it now is nigh on impossible.I am down to my last few hundred feet.Only about 2 seasons worth of bait fishing traces left if I am lucky.Looking at new or should I say a replacement brand all the time but not seen anything that has really grabbed my attention yet. Yes it is a bit expensive isnt it.

Fair comment, Budgie, you very obviously know your piking gear.

I have used QED but found it too thick and heavy, too expensive, and .... I have never seen any pukka test data to convince me of the claim that it doesn't lose any strength when it bends, kinks and is straightened.

I like to be as sure as I possibly can that my traces are 100% as far as I can tell -- I test them before I use them. I use wires that are 5 or 6 times cheaper and that means that when I do get a kink, I can easily, quickly and cheaply replace it. No worries then!

DG

[ 03. October 2003, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Yup it sure looks horrible!but as they say the proof is in the eating! I carry one of those John Roberts Knot Testers great for giving a pull on traces after you have landed a fish to check them.Not a tackle tart mind you got it free with some mag!Prior to this I just used to hook the treble into the handle on my forceps.Which of the "modern" wires would you sugest I look at then DG (or anyone else for that matter}taking into account that I prefer to spin/twist traces rather than crimp? Also why do you like them.

I'm a twiddler.

I always finish off with a blob of Araldite.

As well as securing the twist, there are no sharp wire ends to come untwisted and to annoying catch into the braid, or my fingers etc.

I like to have the centre treble sliding (wrap the trace around the hook shank 1.5 turns, and cover with some tubing.

That means that I can adjust the distance between the trebles to suit the size of the bait.

It also means that if the 'free' treble grabs a hold in a soft part of the pike's mouth, the fixed treble will move toward that area for more secure hooking. Having the hoooks pulled close together also makes for easier unhooking.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust