Chub .....Hair or Hook?

madmax1975

Hi all,

I'm hearing a couple of conflicting ideas. Maybe it's a personal preference thing?

Would people recommend fishing for Chub on a hair, or put bait straight on the hook?

There's more to fishing than catching fish

What do you want to use as bait?

Hi bud,

I've just made up a really stinky load of cheese paste, so not sure if I'm best off wrapping it straight on the hook, or hairing some foam or cake or whatever then wrapping it up.

I'd fish it straight on the hook. You can catch chub on a hair, but the way they feed doesn't make it particularly effective compared to 'suction' feeders like carp, barbel, tench, etc.

Some people use hairs together with bolt rigs when fishing baits like boilies for long periods, when they're after 1 bite from a monster that they're afraid they'll miss otherwise. But I think bait straight on the hook is generally the best bet for chub.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'd fish it straight on the hook. You can catch chub on a hair, but the way they feed doesn't make it particularly effective compared to 'suction' feeders like carp, barbel, tench, etc.

Some people use hairs together with bolt rigs when fishing baits like boilies for long periods, when they're after 1 bite from a monster that they're afraid they'll miss otherwise. But I think bait straight on the hook is generally the best bet for chub.

Cheers, I'll give it a go

Hi bud,

I've just made up a really stinky load of cheese paste, so not sure if I'm best off wrapping it straight on the hook, or hairing some foam or cake or whatever then wrapping it up.

If you want to wrap your paste around something (maybe to get some buoyancy/movement in your bait), a short hair might help as it can help not mask your hook. Just keep the hair short with the bait tight up against the hook and you will still hook chub ok.

ps. If your fishing a river for chub and you want better natural movement of your hook bait, a float might help more. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

madmax,

Slather cheese paste up on a bit of a miniture marshmallow straight on the hook (leave the point exposed). It will pop-up so settle it with a "bb" shot how ever far off the bottom you wish.

Phone

I have certainly found that I catch more chub when trotting a float or when fishing bait directly on the hook. Chub tend to nip at baits with their lips rather than suck them straight in like a barbel would.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

madmax,

Slather cheese paste up on a bit of a miniture marshmallow straight on the hook (leave the point exposed). It will pop-up so settle it with a "bb" shot how ever far off the bottom you wish.

Phone

Hi Phone,

regarding using marshmallow, could this literally be anything to give a little buoyancy? foam or pop up boiley etc?

Hi Phone,

regarding using marshmallow, could this literally be anything to give a little buoyancy? foam or pop up boiley etc?

Be careful not to make chub fishing too complicated... there really isn't any need for it! Lump of cheesepaste on the hook, cast quitly to the right spot, is all you need.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music