Letting the feeder come round

The Flying Tench

I was watching a guy fish a canalised section of the kennett in the summer, and he's caught some good roach of around three-quarters of a pound, which was impressive as it was a boiling hot day and there were loads of boats. I asked him where he was fishing, and he said 'By the cabbages there', and pointed to a spot near the bank. But he explained he was casting to the middle, and letting the current bring the feeder round. I didn't see the point. I thought 'if the fish are in the middle, why not use a heavier lead and fish in the middle? And if they're by the cabbages, why not fish there in the first place?'

At long last i fished here on Monday, and cast to just where the cabbages had been - just one or two minnows. Then i cast to the middle, and let the feeder come round, and started getting bites and caught a few roach on a bright cold day, though nothing of any size. Most of the time i was fishing with maggot feeder, and I wondered whether it was leaving a trail of maggots which attracted the fish - though, actually, the efffect was immediate, so i almost wonder if they were following the feeder round!

Is this a recognised technique?

john clarke

I use this technique when I fish the Severn at Gloucester, (can't at the moment - flooded) and I always catch fish. Others on the forum have told me that the method is outdated as the fish are "too wise" for it now.

[ 28. October 2004, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: kleinboet ]

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I, where possible, will overcast the swim I want to fish or let the flow bring the bait/feeder round into the swim.

Simple if you cast a lead/feeder into the swim with the fish the chances are you will spook them If you pull or let the flow take the bait into the swim there is less chance of disturbing them, hence more fish :)

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

John when I first read your post last night I thought you were saying very strange things now after Lynns post and re reading yours it all makes sense!! yes we all do this to a degree in running water! :)

By the way it was nothing to do with the way you worded your post just a total failure of powers of comprehension on my part :rolleyes:

[ 28. October 2004, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Could simply be that allowing the feeder to roll round allows it to get in under the cabbages, or at least in the edge of them.

I often used a similar technique on the Kennet to roll my bait under a raft of rubbish and branches or "over the back" of weedbeds.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic