Deadbait rigs for Perch

Frogger

Good stuff. Go and experiment, and let us know how it goes :) If everyone else is using worms, you might well be onto a winner.

Thanks for the video's there, was searching youtube for ages for them and couldn't find them anywhere :)

I've had barbel and chub on dead minnows in the summer so would be interesting to see what I would catch. I think it was Fred J Taylor or someone who once pondered as to what you would catch fishing deadbaits exclusively for a season.

Primarily though I would like a big Perch and have a venue in mind with rumours of fish over 4lb+. Thing is though I have trotted dead minnows, hooked through the lip, I have never tried single hooks with bigger baits so unsure where to hook them.

Also never tried ledgering a dead bait on the river so unsure whether float ledgering or running ledger to a bobin would be best. I am conscious of the resistance issue but also of the need for a bit of weight as I'm fishing a river.

Anyone any experience of these methods?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred J taylor obviously had too much time on his hands.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Frogger,

Notice, Phone is across the pond. Our perch, quite different I'm told, fall to minnow parts almost equal to live minnows. Not so true of whole dead minows.

Lip hooked heads with a much guts as will stay attached.

Phone

Anyone any experience of these methods?

Yes, but not with deadbaits, only lobs. Legering with a fairly heavy, free running weight and a bobbin (as light as you can get away with taking flow into account) on a long drop works well. An alarm is useful if bites are few and far between. This also means you can fish a bait in what looks to be the hot spot while exploring the rest of the swim with a trotted bait. I really don't know if trotted deads are any good for perch as I've never tried it. (I've never had much success with trotted deads for pike.) I'd be very intererested in how you get on with it, I like it when people try something different.

By the way, I suspect that most people catch more perch on lobs and lives than deads simply because those baits are used a lot more. Last autumn I was perch fishing with lobs when I accidentally foul-hooked a gudgeon, which died. I lip hooked it and recast, and had about 4 or 5 nice perch one after the other on the same little deadbait. There's something about gudgeon that perch seem to particularly like, and I think if I was going deadbaiting for perch, they'd be top of my list, if you can get them.

I remember seeing some videos on youtube quite a while ago where someone was catching perch from a canal on dead gudgeon - I'll try to find it for you.

PS the reason I have never given deads a fair go for perch is because on my waters, the crayfish make it a non-starter. They come back filleted :rolleyes:

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Well, went out this afternoon to christen the new rod and perch were on the agenda. First cast, trotted dendra and the float slid away. 4lb 4oz. Great way to start. :D Later on tried the sure-fire big perch hole with a lip hooked dead minnow. Third cast, another run. 3lb 8oz. What a cracking pair. Except that they were bait-robbin' chub! Wa, wa, waaaah! :wallbash:

Regards, Clive

Yes, those big chub sure are pests aren't they.... :blink:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Yes, those big chub sure are pests aren't they.... :blink:

Yep! Been out again today (perks of being recently retired) and found a stunning looking perch swim. 5' deep, twice the average depth of the river, overhanging trees, slightly coloured water and a lovely slack hole behind a fallen willow. Missed two bites on the float / ledger that resulted in the Dendra coming back perforated, then managed to hit the third bite on my last cast. Guess what? Another bloomin' chub! Bah! :wallbash:

Regards, Clive

Cheers 4 the video Anderoo.wish he would show a bit more of his rigs tho.mind alot of net vids are like that I guess.

Yep! Been out again today (perks of being recently retired) and found a stunning looking perch swim. 5' deep, twice the average depth of the river, overhanging trees, slightly coloured water and a lovely slack hole behind a fallen willow. Missed two bites on the float / ledger that resulted in the Dendra coming back perforated, then managed to hit the third bite on my last cast. Guess what? Another bloomin' chub! Bah! :wallbash:

Try a deadbait in those swims Nicepix,see what happens

Frogger

Cheers 4 the video Anderoo.wish he would show a bit more of his rigs tho.mind alot of net vids are like that I guess.

Try a deadbait in those swims Nicepix,see what happens

Frogger

Already have, with minnows. Sill caught chub! I've got a few dace and chublets in the freezer. They might get an outing next week.

Regards, Clive