No space for a pond

cannibalspinners

• 4 weeks later...

My mate had a pond that was about 10 feet by 6 feet and that had half a dozen or so carp of varying types in it. When it was drained, one turned out to be just shy of 10lbs!! The rest were about 1.5lbs to 3lbs and the strange thing was, you very rarely saw any them, except then they were being fed and the pond was no more than 4 feet deep at the deepest area, which just goes to show how little space carp will happily live in.

I'm not suggesting that was an ideal stocking level by any means but these carp were very happy, healthy and they lived to a right old age. I'd probably have kept less than half that many but his ish little more than a few inches long at the beginning, so it was never expected that the fish would grow to the size they did.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Cannib,

Do you have space and money to use aeration and maybe heating/refrigeration? Aeration for sure - heating and cooling depends on the obvious.

We had 30 or more of small carp (koi) that did nicely in 450 sq ft and on avg 2 ft deep. I'd say you could easily cut that in half or more for 10 (same depth). DISCLAIMER: no koi pond expert!!!!

If you search Koi pond or koi pond building or "how to" koi pond - etc. I'd just bet you would get 10,000 hits.

Phone

Fish tanks with aeration easily support 1 inch of fish per US gallon of water. I suspect a pond could handle at least half that density.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President