HOW?

Chris Goddard

How guys and gals do I run the supposedly easy task of RUN from the start menu please?? I am running win7 Ultimate and as easy as I find this to run there are certain STUPID things in it which do NOT exist and who's solutions escape both myself and seemingly THOUSANDS of other users??!! I have tried Googling the answer and all I get back is something akin to TOTAL and UTTER drivel!

PLEASE can anyone help??

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Right Click on the task bar and click on properties.

Click on Start Menu, click on Customize.

Tick the things (including the "run" option) that you want available.

I removed your note at the end since problem solved after you posted it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

All happens via the search window at the base of the windows menu when you click the windows button.

All your command and run commands can be typed and accessed from there by default.

Failing that just type in the name of the EXE you want to run and it will appear in the bar above for the clicking of to run it.

All happens via the search window at the base of the windows menu when you click the windows button.

All your command and run commands can be typed and accessed from there by default.

Failing that just type in the name of the EXE you want to run and it will appear in the bar above for the clicking of to run it.

You don't even have to click on it. If you want to run say a command line just type in cmd and hit return.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Maybe I'm old fashioned but while I love the fact that M$ finally got it right with the search thing, I still like to have the "run" option available.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks for that! I find it now by searching?? BUT even though I ticked it following your instruction Newt (Sorry Guys but I sorta TRUST Newt!) And I still cannot see it??

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Thanks for that! I find it now by searching?? BUT even though I ticked it following your instruction Newt (Sorry Guys but I sorta TRUST Newt!) And I still cannot see it??

the "search" bar now doubles as a command line/search filter

if you follow Newt's guide then it will be shown just above the "shutdown" button beneath "help and support" on the right hand column when you press the "start" button

but even so it will simply bring up the usual "task manager" run options which makes it actually quicker to just type your command straight into the "search" box...but hey..whatever works for you :)

Edited by kirisute

Chris - if you have this one ticked

run-command.jpg

You should see this

run-command-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming you have a standard Microsoft type keyboard, just hold down the Windows key (the one with the wavy flag symbol) and press the R key - this will give you the new version of the Run/Search box and you can type in whatever program/exe you want in there. Much easier than trying to find it in the start menu.

Have a look on the Tinterweb for keyboard shortcuts for Windows, there's loads more useful ones you might want to learn.

Where's the 'ANY' key?